Why become a member? ×

Encore bass fret buzz and truss rod under pick guard

Zephyr

Bought an early 90’s encore bass, missing the low E string, but very very happy with the action and all other aspects.

We have bonded. Yes heavy, but like it like that.

Then changed strings to .105-.045 and now got buzz on the first fret of the low E string.

So now I need to reset the action. Which is fine, done it before from the neck, but I only now realise that the truss rod adjustment access is down at the bottom….?…!! Under the pick guard!!!!!!

First things first, I will try raising the action on the bridge but fail that I will need to…?

Take off the pick guard?

Truss rod adjustment usually takes one or three goes at it before it’s to your liking. So it’s a wee dilemma.

A little help please

53 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Then changed strings to .105-.045 and now got buzz on the first fret of the low E string.

Sounds like the nut slot was cut too low.

Might have been a wee bit shim in there which got lost during the string change, sliver from a pill blister is normally enough.

Before messing with the TR check the nut. Fret E string 3rd fret then see what you have between underside of string and 1st fret. If it's touching or almost touching, build up the slot ; try a wee bit of thin plastic (pill blister). Tune the bass and see if you solved the problem 🙂

Should the problem be fixed, make the fix permanent with drop of super glue and baking powder. Easier to explain on YT.

One thing about the truss rod. It's purpose is neck relief ; string action is set by nut slots, bridge saddles and sometimes a neck pocket shim.

You say buzz is on 1 string and just 1 fret, to me that says your neck relief is fine and dandy.

Leave the TR alone, adjust the nut instead 👍

• Like 2

I agree as would like to resolve this with as little amount of effort as possible.

All other frets are spot on except for ONE! …The lowest ‘F’! The first fret low E!

So will attempt to build up the height on the lower E string slot at the nut. 

And thanks for you prompt response.

But….

Seen the vids on Fender truss rod adjustment with bass access at the bottom where it is suggested to cut a discreet hole at base to insert an Allen key or similar. 

Is that the case, for the Encore?

If so, does that means I would initially need to remove the pick guard to test that the length of the Allen key (or similar) is the same as fender and access depth is same for the Encore?

Adjusting a truss rod is not rocket science, as have done it before from the nut end. So I know there is a lot fiddling and back and forth checking.

This would be tedious if strings will needed to be removed. 

So can you remove the pick guard and keep strings on and still adjust the truss rod?

Be nice if there are an Encore purist or someone a little lot more savy than me for the future maintenance.

I assure you I will go for the easiest option first but would like to know if there is a plan’B’.

I am planning on this to be a long relationship.

You can build up the nut slot with superglue and baking soda, lots of YouTube videos on that. Cutting an access hole in the pickguard sounds eminently sensible. However, as the bass came without an E string, I wonder if the neck is a little twisted at the headstock end? Not that there’s a lot you can do about that with a single truss rod neck, but it would explain the problem. Building up the nut if the truss rod is correctly adjusted would still be the way forward.

It’s not rattling on open low E but only the F. I can just about stop the buzz with precise placement of my finger, and, pressing down more firmly than I am usually comfortable with.

It does not look twisted but will get a second opinion.

So I am thinking of just building up the slot (if that’s the right word) as I can just about get away with it at the moment. 

It may be that I have chosen a heavier gauge this time round and with short arms and stubby fingers (haha!) it a bit of a stretch and not yet hitting the placement as I should.

So will endeavour to sort this out without truss rod adjustment.

Sent the above to distributors JHS who responded promptly. They have requested more details regarding the actually bass for specs. 

Still attempting to determine date of bass so once we can establish its model then they will be a wee bit more inform about practicalities of resolving issues and repairs.

Big thanks for all advice.  Very much appreciated!

On 24/10/2022 at 19:02, Zephyr said:

It’s not rattling on open low E but only the F. I can just about stop the buzz with precise placement of my finger, and, pressing down more firmly than I am usually comfortable with.

It does not look twisted but will get a second opinion.

So I am thinking of just building up the slot (if that’s the right word) as I can just about get away with it at the moment. 

But if it's only buzzing when you are fretting the first fret F then that should take the nut out of the question ?

See Velvet...'s comment above.

It is a temperamental beast.

This is where I am not sure. If I play the Low F softly and fingered correctly then no fret buzz. But as soon as I give it some attitude I get the buzz, rattle.

so I am going to get a second opinion regarding the neck. It may be bowing a tad. The bridge height is at its highest so I am thinking the person before me attempted correct the fret buzz by increasing height on all strings.

I think it will be a matter of fiddling with the truss rod eventually or remedying the ridiculous situation of having to take the pick guard off each time you need to tweak the neck.

Not sure what you mean that the nut slot on the E may be too high. The pressure on the string is not too bad to get a noticeable bend before the fret and can get a clean sound when fingering softly without too much pressure.

But receptive to all suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to up date on progress.

The neck does bend away from the strings about the second and third fret nut end.

I took off the scratch plate/pick guard and loosened the rod to get the best action I could. It’s was not that difficult a task. Quite quick and simple.

I think or am thinking that the neck has a permanent arch nut end, be it in the wood or rod.

You see when I loosened it enough to get that wee bend straightened at the nut end It also created a subtle dip from 2/3 to 12/15 frets. Indicating that to straighten I should tighten.

And then the string note tuner did not recognise the E string.

I eventually fiddle around until it did … but weird.

Is it the Tuning peg or the tuner?

or is the string not wound enough around the peg and slipping?

It’s playable but still has that occasional buzz.

recommendation please. (Not getting rid of it, just yet)