Why become a member? ×

Lots of Qs - Removing and rehousing an amp from a combo

Minininjarob

I have a TE combo which I’ve borrowed from someone but it is crazy heavy. I quickly removed the amp section from the top of the combo to see if it needed any cleaning or servicing and found that it isn’t very heavy on its own - it’s the cabinet itself which weighs as much as a small moon. The amp itself is of excellent quality. 

My question is how easy is it to rehouse the amp section into another box? Are they a standard size (I’m guessing not) and so can you buy an off the shelf housing? 

I am assuming that if I were to make a box it’s basically just a sleeve which I bolt the amp inside, with maybe some metal corners on?

I can make things out of wood so am considering making my own one day - any recommendations on a wood or other material to make the case out of?

Edited by Minininjarob

• Minininjarob changed the title to Lots of Qs - Removing and rehousing an amp from a combo

Old TE stuff is rack width. However, there is no complete internal casing (there wasn't on my old AAH350), so you cannot just whip it out and put it in a rack case. Ashdown make ply amp sleeves. Given that they were originally TE, the dimensions/layout  will probably be similar. May be worth asking their advice.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Plywood best.

MDF if needs must. MDF sawdust is very toxic.

Make absolutely sure your bolts won't contact the amp guts when it's assembled. If there's any doubt, the best way to do that is match thicknesses and use the original bolts.

It would be ply or maybe some nice pine, but not MDF - too heavy and I hate using it. 

The bolts screw in from above into the chassis so would be easy to replicate the bolt locations and types - I have a really good local bolt stockists.

1 hour ago, Minininjarob said:

Unfortunately it’s not a rack mount unit and from memory I don’t think it’s even the same width. 

If I made a ply box for it to go in what are the options for covering it? Also the edge protections, I like the black ones, any tips on suppliers for these?

If you Google "speaker cabinet corner protectors", you'll find plenty (they don't have to be used on speakers, obvs). Penn Elcom has a decent selection.

Re material, I'd go for ply. Something like pine would look nice, but it isn't that stable or strong and can warp. For covering, there's good old Tolex, or you could use something like Tuff Cab paint.

Edited by Dan Dare

I did the same with my old TE combo. I made a sleeve from a scrap piece of mdf. No corners needed, oversize end cheeks with rounded corners.

Handle on one end 4 small feet on opposite, 4 large feet on bottom. Weight not really important as an easy size and shape to carry with handle on side.

Just matt back paint if I recall. 

Cheers

Martin

4 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

For me, if you took apart a combo amp that you had borrowed from me I'd be more than a little peeved!!

I only slid the amp section out briefly and the owner knows. I do have an electronics background and wanted to check the condition of the inside of it, it was in fantastic condition and just needed a bit of dusting out. If I bought it I’d put in a quieter fan but it works fine so I won’t be doing anything to it unless I own it. 

• Like 1