Why become a member? ×

Dunlop Nickel strings query ?

dmccombe7

Does anyone know what the string tensions are for Dunlop nickel 40-100 and 45-105.

I'm thinking of trying them but they mention a light tension and i'm not sure i want less tension than my D'Addario EXL190's.

It may well be its negligible.

Dave

The black label 40-100s are similar tension to XLs. 

The Super Brights are definitely more flexible/lower tension in the same gauge. 

If you go for Super Brights, I would go up to 45-105 to get a similar tension. 

Edited by Supernaut
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

The black label 40-100s are similar tension to XLs. 

The Super Brights are definitely more flexible/lower tension in the same gauge. 

If you go for Super Brights, I would go up to 45-105 to get a similar tension. 

I didnt notice black label versions. I'll have another look but going up a gauge was why i asked about them too.

Thanks for replying @Supernaut

Dave

I used to use them. Irrespective of any tension issues I found the nickle versions went 'dead' quicker than the average D'Addario set, so I didn't use them for very long. I think I went through two sets on a week long tour. 

Nice enough strings, though I felt D'Addarios in the same gauge had a bit more tension. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, thodrik said:

I used to use them. Irrespective of any tension issues I found the nickle versions went 'dead' quicker than the average D'Addario set, so I didn't use them for very long. I think I went through two sets on a week long tour. 

Nice enough strings, though I felt D'Addarios in the same gauge had a bit more tension. 

Thanks for that, longevity was one of the reasons i was going to change over to them.

No point changing as they are both similar prices.

Dave

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Thanks for that, longevity was one of the reasons i was going to change over to them.

No point changing as they are both similar prices.

Dave

No problem. For longevity I find that the D'Addario NYXLs last a bit longer. Though frankly I generally use Elixir these days. I prefer the tone of new D'Addarios but a set of Elixirs can last me 18 months as opposed to about 6-8 weeks on a set of D'Addarios.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thodrik said:

No problem. For longevity I find that the D'Addario NYXLs last a bit longer. Though frankly I generally use Elixir these days. I prefer the tone of new D'Addarios but a set of Elixirs can last me 18 months as opposed to about 6-8 weeks on a set of D'Addarios.

I used to put Elixir strings on my Thumb bass when they first came out but i found them a little stiff. Maybe the new versions have less tension.

What did you find with them.

I killed a new set of D'Addaios at a very hot gig where i was sweating a lot. I've never experienced a set of strings going after one gig.

Dave

31 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I used to put Elixir strings on my Thumb bass when they first came out but i found them a little stiff. Maybe the new versions have less tension.

What did you find with them.

I killed a new set of D'Addaios at a very hot gig where i was sweating a lot. I've never experienced a set of strings going after one gig.

Dave

Elixirs are definitely a bit stiffer. However I use them to tune down so that is actually a plus point. I did try a 105-45 set in standard tuning but though that the strings were too stiff for slap and popping stuff so I should have got a 100-40 set.

• Thanks 1

Dunlop Nickel 40-100 ( black label) are my string of choice on most basses for the last 10 years or so. I also have D'Addario XL 40-100 on a couple of basses so I can give a reasonable assessment of the relative feel of the two sets.

I would describe the tension of the Dunlops as "normal" and the D'Addarios as slightly more taught by comparison.

The Dunlops certainly aren't low tension like DR round core strings or indeed Dunlop Super Bright strings. To me they feel just right. Just like the D'Addarios, they give a good all-purpose tone and they work well on a wide variety of basses. 

In my opinion they don't die off too quickly in so much as that they aren't overly bright to begin with. Once they are played in a bit they stay usable for ages, providing you aren't looking for Rotosound RS66 clank. I don't notice much difference to the D'Addarios in that respect. I know that Billy Gould from Faith No More uses exactly the same Dunlop 40-100 and he gets an exceedingly bright tone. Some would say too bright. 

They are/ were a reasonable price too, the current economic chaos not withstanding.

Edited by Misdee
  • Thanks 1