Why become a member? ×

NBD - Squier FSR Jaguar Bass

AntLockyer

My 13 year daughter has started playing bass, and has been using mine. That is either an unmarked USA P or my pre CBS pre. The chances are she will drop one at some stage and I'd hate for her to feel bad about breaking one of mine so I have got another one for her to play. Purposely not calling it hers, so that I can play it and sell it if she loses interest. I tried out a non FSR model in a shop and it was absolutely brilliant. Super light, neck felt nice, high output and interesting sound. The pink one is being delivered today, will report back.

image.thumb.png.0883a9e54262bbc11c766c716b22ee67.png

• Like 9

The old short scale PJ Jaguars were great - borrowing mine persuaded a friend of mine to retire his vintage (very tired) Musicmaster from live shows in favour of one. Only thing I didn't like was the unfinished or barely finished neck which got grubby after a lot of shows. I'd have preferred a gloss like the CV or VM series necks, but you can't expect too much at that price point and would have been a low effort project to remedy. Definitely deserves a heavier E string than shipped too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, borntohang said:

The old short scale PJ Jaguars were great... Only thing I didn't like was the unfinished or barely finished neck which got grubby after a lot of shows.

I have one of these, it was my main bass for my previous band (with EMGs and a hi-Mass bridge) and I played it a lot. I really like the neck finish. It never got grubby though as I always wash my hands before playing.

7 hours ago, AntLockyer said:

My 13 year daughter has started playing bass, and has been using mine. That is either an unmarked USA P or my pre CBS pre. The chances are she will drop one at some stage and I'd hate for her to feel bad about breaking one of mine so I have got another one for her to play. Purposely not calling it hers, so that I can play it and sell it if she loses interest. I tried out a non FSR model in a shop and it was absolutely brilliant. Super light, neck felt nice, high output and interesting sound. The pink one is being delivered today, will report back.

image.thumb.png.0883a9e54262bbc11c766c716b22ee67.png

Nice! I was tempted to buy one to go alongside my Squier VI.

Squier do great pink.

I wish my daughters wanted to play bass... my eldest is 11 so maybe she'll convert in a couple of years!

Well it's exactly as expected. Great quality. Zero defects. Nearly a decent setup etc.

My daughter Audrey loves it. She learnt Where is my Mind by Pixies as soon as it arrived and practiced for ages.

I'll give it a little bit of time to settle in and give it a tweak to get a more even action  its a tad higher at the dusty end right now.

• Like 1

Got to start them early 🤣

Screenshot_20220928_091636.thumb.jpg.001f4acb4b3eb2f7fba5ad111711d133.jpg

She's dabbled with a few instruments. Piano, violin  trumpet etc. The only one she really was into was drums but between Covid and some incompetence at school her drum lessons never happened. Her friend is learning guitar and another drums so it was an obvious choice now they are heavily into decent music.

I have a decent idea how she learns as we are very similar, so can teach in a non boring way where she'll end up knowing the fretboard by stealth. She's already making conscious decisions about playing an open A vs fretted which is totally unprompted by me.

She's got a very decent bass now and a coach available 24/7 so there is every chance of her becoming proficient and having fun.

• Like 4