Why become a member? ×

Passive USA Music Man Sub experiences?

Pinball

Just thought I would share my thoughts on my latest purchase. I picked it up locally and my expectations weren't that high, as the prospect of a "passive ray" seemed to strange to me. I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it plays and sounds. It sounds great, that ray sound really sings. 

Other things that I had heard were "they are really heavy; finish is horrible etc.". Again, pleasantly surprised as it feels great in the hand. Plays well and weights 9lb, which is my ideal weight.

Anyone else playing or have playing experiences of these? I would be interested to hear of the live experience.

Picture attached as proof! 😉

20220916_162451.thumb.jpg.8c6b28be46bc627212c759d36e5a257b.jpg 

Edited by Pinball
  • Like 5

Hmm just been playing some more. Great tone but friendlier on the ear than the actives that I have had. I have had 4 SR5's (3x MM's and a Sterling) over the years and loved playing them live as they sat just right in the mix and cut though in a great way. I never particularly liked the Solo'd sound though.

Maybe this will need more care in terms of amp adjustment. All subjective at the moment.

Only one way to find out!

Edited by Pinball

I bought one when they first came out.

Or rather I ordered one, black and passive, and was sent a black and active.

Back it went, and a few weeks later I was sent a red and passive.

Back it went, then a couple of weeks later I finally received my black passive USA Sub.

I posted about it on the Music Man forum, in a thread called 'The bass they didn't want me to have!'.

This became the thread they did not want to show, because it was deleted.

3 times 😝

Anyway I really liked the bass, it sounded like a MM despite being passive, lovely neck, and wasn't too heavy. I only got rid because I play fingerstyle and the edge of the body was not contoured, and used to dig into my arm, eventually quite painfully by the end of a gig.

With hindsight I should have just chamfered a tad off the corner where my arm rested.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Back it went, then a couple of weeks later I finally received my black passive USA Sub.

I posted about it on the Music Man forum, in a thread called 'The bass they didn't want me to have!'.

3 times 😝

Anyway I really liked the bass, it sounded like a MM despite being passive, lovely neck, and wasn't too heavy. I only got rid because I play fingerstyle and the edge of the body was not contoured, and used to dig into my arm, eventually quite painfully by the end of a gig.

With hindsight I should have just chamfered a tad off the corner where my arm rested.

Thanks for replying. I am starting to think that there aren't many passives out there. I have to say in your story, that I would have kept sending them back too-aswell!

and...If a bass doesn't "fit" it takes the pleasure out of playing.

I play with a pick and a crouching style, which may be why haven't noticed any similar problems. I have noticed on some of the forums that players sometimes modify their subs by shaving bits off for a better fit.

I have wondered about the quality of the body wood as it is a bit of a lump but not heavy. Having said that, I really like the sound that comes out of it, which is the most important thing and I like the industrial look, so it is working for me. 

I still haven't tested it with the band yet though.

Edited by Pinball

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

3 times 😝

I bought an active 5 string one in an Ebay accident. I chamfered the forearm and did a belly cut. You are correct.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinball said:

Thanks for replying. I am starting to think that there aren't many passives out there. I have to say in your story, that I would have kept sending them back too-aswell!

and...If a bass doesn't "fit" it takes the pleasure out of playing.

I play with a pick and a crouching style, which may be why haven't noticed any similar problems. I have noticed on some of the forums that players sometimes modify their subs by shaving bits off for a better fit.

I have wondered about the quality of the body wood as it is a bit of a lump but not heavy. Having said that, I really like the sound that comes out of it, which is the most important thing and I like the industrial look, so it is working for me. 

I still haven't tested it with the band yet though.

I think you’re right there aren’t many passive Subs - IIRC there was very little, if any difference in price - I recall one of the Denmark St shops having bought up most of the stock of Subs after they were discontinued, from the distributor - they were selling them at £420 each (probably 2007 or so). At around the same time, the store under the Virgin Superstore in Oxford St had a whole display of Musicman Sub guitars - the only time I’ve ever seen one. 

I have a long scale Tim Commerford signature passive - whilst slightly different electrically (neodymium pick up; series/parallel/single coil selector) I suspect it’s fairly similar in parallel mode to the passive Sub. Anyway it’s a very usable sound in a band setting although I do tend to favour the series setting as it’s a bit fatter sounding. The parallel gives a nice slap sound as well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

IIRC there was a red passive USA Sub for sale here recently, last year, or the year before?

I recall a passive one on here a while back. I would have hesitated to buy one without trying it out first.

The one I picked up was local. It had been the seller's dad/guitarists bass, so he didn't know anything about it. There wasn't an amp to try it with, but it played so nice I decided to buy it anyway. Thats why I was "pleasantly surprised" at how good it sounds as I was thinking that I would probably need to add a preamp. I'm now thinking that it is fine as it is.

1 hour ago, ikay said:

These are great basses, I love my active USA SUB. Out of interest, do you find any use for the bass cut control on the passive version?

The bass cut seems to have a dramatic effect as a big cut can sound like you have cut the volume. The treble has only minimal effect so I'm playing with the bass most of the way up and the treble quite far down. The tone is great though so a bit less control is no big deal for me. It is a nice smooth ray sound. I haven't tried it in a band yet though 

1 hour ago, MacDaddy said:

I restrung mine B-E-A-D as I was playing in a Sadistic Darkwave band at the time (don't ask!).

It handled the low B fine, just had to route the nut notch a tad.

I understand. I'll be detuning to C, G, C, F. Everything has been written like that and I can't make the needed in standard tuning. It's good fun actually and doesn't sound as bad as you would think 👍.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

(Edited as I've just seen what this thread is actually about!)

I have three (active versions!) One was converted to fretless (Rotosound Swing Bass), one had the neck stripped, slimmed and oiled (GHS Brite Flats)and the third is all original (Ernie Ball Slinky).  All purchased in 2023 (£350, £380 and £400).  I really love these basses - more than my EBMM 3-band, Ric 4001, USA Fender P and various 'lesser' basses.  The only other bass that gets a look in is my Hofner Club.

I'm thinking of adding an active/passive switch to no.3.

If you can pick one up at a good price, don't hesitate.  Ignore the funky finish (which I like), and don't sweat about stripping the neck if you don't like the sprayed finish.  For the price of a budget bass you'll have one of the best basses around (and you won't have to worry about dinging it!

Edited by Bird5
Didn't realise that the OP was asking about the passive version. Doh!

6 hours ago, Bird5 said:

(Edited as I've just seen what this thread is actually about!)

I have three (active versions!) One was converted to fretless (Rotosound Swing Bass), one had the neck stripped, slimmed and oiled (GHS Brite Flats)and the third is all original (Ernie Ball Slinky).  All purchased in 2023 (£350, £380 and £400).  I really love these basses - more than my EBMM 3-band, Ric 4001, USA Fender P and various 'lesser' basses.  The only other bass that gets a look in is my Hofner Club.

I'm thinking of adding an active/passive switch to no.3.

If you can pick one up at a good price, don't hesitate.  Ignore the funky finish (which I like), and don't sweat about stripping the neck if you don't like the sprayed finish.  For the price of a budget bass you'll have one of the best basses around (and you won't have to worry about dinging it!

When our civilisation falls and it all becomes Mad Max-esque... My bass would be an EBMM SUB. It can be used as a weapon, and it will sound great ;)

I had an early SUB5 that I regret so much selling... The neck was amazing. But idiot me was not into 5 strings yet 🙄😄