Why become a member? ×

Compact mixing desks - what are you using?

Al Krow

48 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

You'd hope theres an EQ on the output - because if you are using wedges, you'd want to be able to notch frequencies as an absolute minimum.

EQ on the auxes looks to be available on the main app, just not CQ4You. There's a 4 band PEQ, RTA, feedback assistant, compressor and limiter (there's a GEQ button, but it doesn't seem to have a function)

The link function gives you up to 3 stereo outputs, although you can mix and match, depending on your particular usage.

Based purely on the app, I'd say it looks pretty good. 

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

WAIT - hang on, no GEQ on the output? So not notching, only parametric? OK for inears, not great for wedges. (Although A&H may go, the feedback assist does away for the need for a graphic.)

I can't work out how to enable it on the app, but that may just be because I'm running demo mode and not connected to an actual unit.

There is a big warning that pops up if you switch the feedback assist off.

So, I can confirm, you need to set a stereo pair of outputs in the main mixing app, and this can then be selected by the CQ4You app (thanks, EBS_freak).

image.thumb.png.aebe6a6c730d3c4cd4823cf7c90eaa89.png

You can then pan the individual channels from the sub-group screens.

image.thumb.png.ed2dcf0b92267382df73ddb48c9e2aff.png

The main screen scroll wheels adjust the underlying channels relative to one another.

image.thumb.png.7d775a470f76cc41fe855a740d10eb74.png

I think this is a bug, but I can't rename the 4th sub group. It's stuck as "Me."

image.thumb.png.f5f92cc2556fead4ed345163d82f96d9.png

No matter how many channels are on the main sub mixing screen (as few as 10 if you make everything a stereo pair), the FX channels stay on the second screen (I'd never have found them on my own, thanks, Chienmortbb).

• Thanks 1

Here are the config adjustments you can make on the aux outs. The library feature has A&H's presets, but you can save your own there too.

image.thumb.png.6f866470cabce88ed40191a0d388ce57.png

The quick setup feature really is quick. With the gain Auto Set, the copy paste of channels and the presets, you really can get a workable mix dialled in in seconds.

image.thumb.png.1dc975579a2e7f154ff99ec1cdb69325.png

Here's the processing screen using the easy presets. You're very limited as to what changes you can make to each channel, but it's very simple to switch a channel back to manual and it pulls over the settings it was using.

image.thumb.png.f4cbf21959d3ec20f41bb59fffe1dc79.png

And another bug... the "Function" dropdown goes blank after using the Soft Keys. It still functions, but it makes it even harder to recall what you've set the Soft Keys to do.

image.thumb.png.c8d53b3bb4dbce56e4e291460a9be2d6.png

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Remember to feed back your big finds to A&H - they are usually pretty hot on bug fixes and community improvement suggestions.

I've fed the bugs back to them already; I'll give them a bit of time before before I start suggesting improvements.

8 hours ago, LLOYDWT said:

The device disconnecting from the mixer issue happens on the CQ4You app as well as the CQ-MixPad app. I've now tested both on iPad and Android and the issue persists on both.

I am probably teaching my grannie to suck eggs , apologies if that is the case.

With the Soundcraft Ui, the problem with disconnecting is usually down to the tablet being designed to connect to strong, internet connected networks. It went away once I switched off Auto-Join.

IMG_0133.thumb.png.fe6433e59ec0e02a480a7170a0dd0be8.png

Edited by Chienmortbb

40 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

I am probably teaching my grannie to suck eggs , apologies if that is the case.

With the Soundcraft Ui, the problem with disconnecting is usually down to the tablet being designed to connect to strong, internet connected networks. It went away once I switched off Auto-Join.

It doesn’t disconnect from the WiFi network. It disconnects from the mixing interface whilst maintaining a stable WiFi connection with the mixer.

The UI is similar to the Midas/Behringer mixers. You connect to the mixer’s network and then in the app you connect to the mixer. With my Midas, as long as I’m on the network, the app maintains its connection to the mixer; with the A&H, if you’re idle, that connection is broken.

Just looking around all the major retailers, it seems that only the CQ12T is in stock with most. I checked Andertons, Thomman, Gear4Music, BAX, PMT GAK SCAN and only Scan has the CQ20B in stock. The CQ12T is in stock everywhere, and Thomann state several months lead time for the CQ18T. 1-2 Weeks for the CQ20B.

On 09/09/2023 at 08:09, LLOYDWT said:

It doesn’t disconnect from the WiFi network. It disconnects from the mixing interface whilst maintaining a stable WiFi connection with the mixer.

The UI is similar to the Midas/Behringer mixers. You connect to the mixer’s network and then in the app you connect to the mixer. With my Midas, as long as I’m on the network, the app maintains its connection to the mixer; with the A&H, if you’re idle, that connection is broken.

I suspect Kiosk Mode is what you/we need. Are you using an iPad? If so, Guided Access will keep the app in focus (don't confuse what Apple call Focus with what Coders call it). Instructions here note that Accessibility has now been given its own Main menu slot.

I have not tried it, but here is a description as to how to get an android device into Kiosk Mode

Edited by Chienmortbb

Kiosk mode isn't ideal, even if it works. I want, as I can with my MR18, to be able to go into other apps (OnSong, Tidal, etc.) whilst using the mixing app and then go back into the mixing app, and I want to be able to let the tablet sleep and come back and immediately be able to mix.

No client-side changes are required for this functionality in other mixing apps, so I'm sure that A&H can and will resolve it soon.

29 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I always have a dedicate ipad on the mixer, using another for switching between stuff if needed. Not ideal I know - but I feel I need instant access at all times!

I could do this; I've got a couple of iPads (and a couple of mic stand tablet holders). But I'd prefer to run everything from one.