Why become a member? ×

Problems with Cubase 12

4&5 String

Having glitches with Cubase 12. Lost all my Loops and Instruments and NX CLA isnt working right. Im not too technical as to fix these problems but would like a DAW that is more stable. I thought 11 was good.

Those who had Cubase what are you using now? or what DAWS are you using with very little or no problems.

• Like 1

I'm using Nuendo 12 (it's Cubase really with added post production & game stuff). I've not had any problems at all and on my system, it runs very smoothly

When you say "Lost all my Loops and Instruments..."

1) Do you mean from the right side browser as in my first screenshot?

2) Or, from the main Media Bay (Hotkey F5 on a PC), second screenshot?

3) "Glitches" sounds like it's possibly your 'Multi Processing, ASIO-Guard, Power Schemes and Buffer sizes/settings etc...', third Screenshot.

A few more details might be helpful...Mac, Windows, what Audio unit etc...? Are you running the current update (you can check in your 'Steinberg Download Assistant'?

1.thumb.png.37afe7e939ba58292beb1764980b8cc2.png2.thumb.jpg.e8c61fcdd419be1378a73ead95bfacfb.jpg04_09.2022_08_31.27_REC.thumb.png.c413d434a8c09053eb43cb89a0ab0b07.png

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lowdown said:

I'm using Nuendo 12 (it's Cubase really with added post production & game stuff). I've not had any problems at all and on my system, it runs very smoothly

When you say "Lost all my Loops and Instruments..."

1) Do you mean from the right side browser as in my first screenshot?

2) Or, from the main Media Bay (Hotkey F5 on a PC), second screenshot?

3) "Glitches" sounds like it's possibly your 'Multi Processing, ASIO-Guard, Power Schemes and Buffer sizes/settings etc...', third Screenshot.

A few more details might be helpful...Mac, Windows, what Audio unit etc...? Are you running the current update (you can check in your 'Steinberg Download Assistant'?

1.thumb.png.37afe7e939ba58292beb1764980b8cc2.png2.thumb.jpg.e8c61fcdd419be1378a73ead95bfacfb.jpg04_09.2022_08_31.27_REC.thumb.png.c413d434a8c09053eb43cb89a0ab0b07.png

Im using windows

4 minutes ago, 4&5 String said:

Im using windows I will check out your very useful info and will look into it. Thank You so much.

Its loops and samples that I don't have.... It comes up like yours but when I click it they are all gone

Did you download them with version 12 when you upgraded? Or maybe Cubase didn't migrate them over from version 11.

Check you 'Steinberg Download Assistant'. It will tell you:

1.JPG

2.JPG

Yea I did that... 2x's.................. I am just getting tired of all the glitches I am getting into cubase... Thinking of Logic Pro or Protools................ I think Cubase is such a problem trying to get help.... So disgusted with cubase and I have been with them for a long time.

20 minutes ago, 4&5 String said:

Yea I did that... 2x's.................. I am just getting tired of all the glitches I am getting into cubase... Thinking of Logic Pro or Protools................ I think Cubase is such a problem trying to get help.... So disgusted with cubase and I have been with them for a long time.

Try the Steinberg/Cubase official forum. You shouldn't really be getting glitches, not on modern day PC's with a decent Audio interface, anyway.

You might have to be more specific, but there is always good help about on their board:

Latest Cubase topics - Steinberg Forums

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 4&5 String said:

Unless your current DAW is not doing something specific that you need, it's always best to stick with what you know and are used to. And as has been said a modern PC should be more than capable of running most projects.

Somethings things that you might need to be aware of if you are thinking of jumping ship.

1. If you have any favourite plug-ins that came as part of the your current DAW installation they may not work with another DAW. Obviously this doesn't include any third party plug-ins you may have downloaded separately. 

2. If you do a lot of MIDI manipulation and given the problem you describe in your OP, it sounds like you do, you may find Pro-Tools lacking in features. Personally I couldn't recommend Pro-Tools to anyone unless you are in a lucrative songwriting partnership with other Pro-Tools users. The iLok copy protection is flakey, and their parent company, Avid, seem to career from one financial crisis to another. TBH Avid are mostly interested in video editing and the audio side these days is a very distant second. IMO the days of Pro-Tools dominance are over, now that every modern computer has more processing power than the Pro-Tools hardware, which used to be its USP. It's only user inertia that is keeping it going.

3. You mention that you are using Windows - just checking that you are aware that these days Logic is a Mac only DAW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^This^

As an early adopter of any new release you're basically beta testing for free - sometimes the DAW has a glitch, other times it's not quite compatible with existing plugins. 

• Thanks 1

On 04/09/2022 at 21:51, 4&5 String said:

Logic is the obvious replacement for Cubase, Protools not so much, it doesn't have anywhere near the built in synths or samplers, it's not as easy to do the dynamic loop stuff and it's expensive. It's easy enough to add all that functionality but thats very expensive in plug-ins. 

Protools still offers a lot to people who are looking for a DAW that operates the way a studio does, it appeals to me immensely in that respect and all my production work is in Protools, my writing partner uses Logic, so I have that on the system as well, but I find it's not as good for editing audio or doing some of the donkey work that band production needs. Logic is brilliant for synths and beats and EDM stuff though, and is perfectly capable of audio editing and mixing.

Abelton might be worth a look too.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 4&5 String said:

I saw online they make it for windows. Maybe recently. It would be to their favor.

I doubt that. The last version of Logic that run under Windows was V5 (we're now on what is essentially V10). Emagic were bought by Apple in 2002 and since then Logic has been a Mac only application.

Apple have absolutely no incentive to produce a version for Windows. For a start having a known hardware platform makes for a much more stable application. Part of the problem with all Windows DAWs is that they have to cater for a massive range of hardware configurations, and a significant number of problems are due to to this. Secondly Apple use the Mac only nature of Logic to drive music producers towards the hardware platform (which is where they make their money). Logic costs just £199, which considering how many plug-ins you get with it these days makes it IMO better VFM than Reaper (which is free).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I too got fed up with Cubase, despite using it since the Atari ST version.

Now using Presonus Studio One 5 (though I believe v6 is out, or about to drop)

You can be as easy to use as you like, but it also has the power to match Cubase.

Worth a look.

• Like 2

I used Steinberg software (started with Pro 16 - through to whatever the current version of Cubase was at the time) and made the switch from Cubase / PC to Logic X / Mac about 10 years ago. I sold my copy of Cubase (it was legit) and PC, then bought a 2nd hand Mac Mini & Logic.

I wouldn't advocate chopping and changing every couple of months, but, as a one time switch it was pretty much painless. You can get overlays for Mac keyboards with all the Logic shortcuts which help. Logic is remarkable value for money -> I think I paid £169.00 at the time for the licence, and haven't paid a penny in upgrades since (Contrasting with Steinberg who thought it was acceptable to charge hundreds each year for the latest version).

If you're wedded to a PC, then check out Reaper (although when you compare apples with apples -> will work out a lot more expensive than Logic)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, 4&5 String said:

Now my panning isn't working.....Any Help???????????

Try this:

Bring Up the mixer (F3).

On a channel strip there is a button (left side) that is for 'panning disable'.

You can toggle this on and off.

The right has a dropdown arrow for two types of panning:

1)  Stereo combined panner.

2) Stereo Balance panner.

To access either, you have to hover the cursor over the corners.

1.thumb.jpg.d3051061aeb79189cbc7a52c89d1d074.jpg2.thumb.jpg.991b5913ccd0151fdf431d7e0f32d55d.jpg

Edited by lowdown
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I get your trouble with Cubase 12; I had similar issues. So, I switched to Cubase 13, and it's been a lot better. It's easier to use, especially with the new Channel Tab that lets you mix tracks easily. They made the MixConsole simpler to use, too. Also, if you're into editing vocals, Cubase 13 has some excellent new tools like a vocoder and better equalizers.

I learned about these new features on faqaudio. It was an excellent place to understand what's different in Cubase 13 and finally make the switch.

Edited by podmornica1