Why become a member? ×

Beginner stuff

drummerdave

Hey, so I'm early stages of learning, self teaching so far, with the help of some YouTube videos!

I'm using fingers, no pick, and alternating 1st and 2nd finger....most of the time, but I've noticed not ALL of the time! Sometimes I'll double here and there, or start off on 2nd finger. Does this kind of stuff matter? Or should I be following some kind of rule when it comes to finger picking?

Also placement of right hand in general...I sometimes have my thumb on the higher pick up and other times on the lower picker? Does this matter?

Also, last question...I'm playing along to reggae tunes mainly, good idea or bad idea? Maybe not the best place to start? That's what my ear is telling me to do! 

Edited by drummerdave
Error
  • Like 1

Really great questions here!

Alternating fingers - My advice would be yes try to always alternative your fingers while learning this will make playing fast lines easier in the future.  There are some exceptions, and in the end it doesn't actually matter.

Right hand position - Where you position you right hand will massively effect the tone produced. As a general rule of thumb, the closer to the neck you pluck the string the warmer and rounder the tone, the closer to the bridge the sharper and tighter tone.

Genre of music - Play whatever you want to play. Whatever music you are drawn to will make you enjoy playing more.  I would suggest learning some basic theory too, scales & arpeggios as a start.

• Like 2

As above.

Initially, do whatever to develop a basic technique that becomes second nature. I've heard of people practising scales and arpeggios along to a metronome to get a sense of timing, which is an important part of the bassist's role. That's your 'get out of jail' fall back if everything goes pear shaped during a gig. Learn to dampen the non-playing strings (one of the things I had to work hard at as a former guitarist now identifying as a bassist - but it paid of in clarity and punch).

Once you have the basics, try other things. Take the same things you've been doing but play them with a pick. See how it feels and note the differences so that you are able to choose the appropriate technique for the song. I'd suggest varying genres you are listening to so that you widen your playing style.

Once you have a basic technique you're happy with try and play with other musicians - ideally who are better than you. You learn more quickly and you develop confidence in what you are playing.

thanks for the input

another question.... gear related this time:

I have a used Ibanez Gio GSR200, I like the feel of it, but the action feels like it may be a bit high but I'm not completely sure. I've googled a bit and can't really find a conclusive answer on a) how to measure the action and b) what it should actually be set at (even approximately)?

Also, there's 3 knobs. One of them is the volume, but I'm a bit confused as what the other two actually are. I think they may be in relation to the pick ups but I can't really tell. There seems to only be a very subtle change when adjusting the middle one, and no change when adjusting the 3rd. Suggests there's  a problem with the wiring? Or perhaps I just don't know/ understand what I'm doing?

I'll probably end up taking it to someone and pay for a set up, but before I do, would be interested in anyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks again!

Edited by drummerdave

8 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

Really great questions here!

Alternating fingers - My advice would be yes try to always alternative your fingers while learning this will make playing fast lines easier in the future.  There are some exceptions, and in the end it doesn't actually matter.

Right hand position - Where you position you right hand will massively effect the tone produced. As a general rule of thumb, the closer to the neck you pluck the string the warmer and rounder the tone, the closer to the bridge the sharper and tighter tone.

Genre of music - Play whatever you want to play. Whatever music you are drawn to will make you enjoy playing more.  I would suggest learning some basic theory too, scales & arpeggios as a start.

As a one finger player* I wish someone had said this to me roughly forty years ago.

*fnar.

56 minutes ago, drummerdave said:

I have a used Ibanez Gio GSR200, I like the feel of it, but the action feels like it may be a bit high but I'm not completely sure. I've googled a bit and can't really find a conclusive answer on a) how to measure the action and b) what it should actually be set at (even approximately)?

In the end, action height is something you will decide only by trying basses with differing actions. Many players on here will tell you to get the action as low as possible but it's horses for courses. I never liked a really low action as I find it more difficult to play, also I am slowly using a higher action as I (subjectively) prefer the variability of tone that it seems to produce.

56 minutes ago, drummerdave said:

I'll probably end up taking it to someone and pay for a set up, but before I do, would be interested in anyone's thoughts on this.

Whereabouts are you @drummerdave? There are lots of excellent luthiers dotted around the country, we can probably recommend one nearby.

Edited by Frank Blank

I believe the control knobs on the GSR200 are a volume knob for each pickup and a tone knob. 

Action height is really down to personal preference, there is no right or wrong. 

As a beginner, the biggest mistake I made was not putting enough effort in to getting solid timing. Lots of scales played to a metronome, try playing patterns within the scales where you're not just going across the strings one at a time.

If you only play reggae you'll never want to use a pick, it'll sound wrong but if you want to play other stuff as well, it's a skill worth learning. If McCartney and John Paul Jones weren't to good to use a pick, none of us are.

• Like 1

ok so having a mess around with it now I understand the knobs better...

1 and 2, pickups - these appear to work fine

3 - tone - appears to make no or very little difference, could I be going wrong somewhere?

Presumably simply turning it as far as it goes, when at least one of the pickups are up full I should be able to hear some sort of difference? How noticeable should it be?

Also, the knobs themselves are quite wobbly, presume that's not a good sign?

Edited by drummerdave
  • Like 1