Why become a member? ×

CMD 121H combo discontinued?

George West

• Sibob changed the title to CMD 121H combo discontinued?

I don't believe we have any Markbass representatives on the board, but I imagine that it's largely because they've launched the new MB58R CMD 121 combos recently.

Further than that, your question might be better levelled at Markbass directly I imagine.

Si

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

I don't believe we have any Markbass representatives on the board, but I imagine that it's largely because they've launched the new MB58R CMD 121 combos recently.

Further than that, your question might be better levelled at Markbass directly I imagine.

Si

MoJoke used to be...?

Have always loved Markbass gear. Though nearly all of the gear I owned over the past 15 years was the original Italian built stuff.

The new range looks to be Italian made and "recyclable".

May be a change of direction in far east our sourcing and consolidation of product range.

Hope this isn't just a green washing marketing ploy.

Could be a move to more sustainable EU manufacturing. The pandemic, fuel costs etc all play a factor.

On 30/08/2022 at 15:12, Sibob said:

I don't believe we have any Markbass representatives on the board....

Si

Ahem.......!      I do some work with Markbass, I just don't shout about it!

I was lucky enough to be invited out to the MB58R launch in July.  The Richard Bona show afterwards was absolutely bleddy amazing!  The new cabinets, heads and combos are incredibly light, picking up the new head is more like picking up a paperback book, rather than a 500w bass head!  I personally currently use a pair of STD121hr cabs (which are slightly lighter than the NY121) with my Casa head... the replacement for these cabs will save me a total weight of 6kg, and I have placed an order, without hesitation, having heard them!

All the MB58R products are to be manufactured in Italy.  This is partly because the company is proudly Italian, but also because it considerably shortens the supply chain, optimise shipping costs and yes, saves the energy cost of shipping large quantities of wooden boxes halfway around the planet.  No greenwashing here, just sound business reasons and less heavy diesel oil being burned for the sake of us low enders

The new cabinets are constructed using a revolutionary injection moulded, dense and recyclable foam, which is incredibly strong, very light and with high performance acoustically.  There are three flavours to choose from - the "Energy" cabs have a tone signature similar to the current Standard and Traveler cabs, the "Pure" have a more hifi treble response (which can still be attenuated), akin to the Marcus Miller and Richard Bona cabs, and the "P" models are similar to "Energy", but have ceramic magnet speakers, which, because of the weight saving in the cabinet are still as light and in some cases even lighter than the current range wooden cabinets.

I understand that, ultimately the MB58 range will no doubt be the new Markbass standard, Marco's work has always been about innovation, but in the meantime there are understandably some very popular current models, which will continue to be made for the foreseeable future.  The new models should start to become available from late October, starting with the cabinets and heads, with the new combos following later in the year.  As a result, while the CMD121H has been marked on the MB website as officially discontinued, I am aware the UK distributor has secured some stock for the UK, so it'll be around for a good while yet!

Thats about all I know for now, but if I hear more I will happily share!

I have been asked to help with an Expo day at Absolute Music on 1st October, and I believe they are hoping this will be the UK debut of the new cabs and heads...

Edited by MoJoKe
  • Like 6