Why become a member? ×

Hofner 500/1 Violin Bass & Case Made in Germany £895 - *SOLD*
£925
Lancaster

ash

Downsizing means that I’m selling some of the basses I love but rarely play. This is my Hofner 500/1 ‘Violin’ Bass, forever associated with one of our greatest national treasures. I used this extensively when recovering from a shoulder injury. It meant I could gig pain free but it actually worked well as a double bass replacement too in my rockabilly band. 

This is a late 70’s early 80’s example with the powerful blade pickups. It is a German made bass and has some beautiful figuring to the back and sides. It is fully functional, super light and is reasonably balanced for a shorty. There is a Hofner replacement scratchplate included but not mounted and a recent Thomann shaped and padded case - that is far superior in terms of protection than the official version.

There are lacquer cracks as is expected in these examples however no major dings and the neck is lovely. It’s strung with Hofner flats that really give you that authentic 60’s sound! 

When I bought it it had had the most inappropriate tuner replacement you could imagine, fortunately however it was easy to put this right using the correct type tuner of this era. The mounting screw holes were filled and sealed and are unsightly but out of audience sight at the back of the headstock. I’m sure a pro luthier could get the cosmetics sorted out if necessary. No further mods have been made. Neck joint, trussrod and frets are excellent. 

German Hofners have skyrocketed recently but I’ve priced this with the minor repair in mind. No trades, pickup preferred. UK only. 

Edited by ash
Sold elsewhere
  • Like 4

I'm struggling to maintain any kind of equilibrium looking at this bass. If I didn't have a custom from Jon Shuker coming very soon, I'd be all over this. As that's the situation, all I can do is offer a very strong endorsement, and a bump!  GLWTS. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ash changed the title to Hofner 500/1 Violin Bass & Case Made in Germany £895 sold