Why become a member? ×

Neck dimensions/profile difference between a Ray35 and a EBMM Stingray5?

mcnach

I recently got a Ray35 bass.

Two things surprised me a bit:

1) String spacing of 17.5mm does not bother me.

2) The G string does not feel like it's falling off the edge.

The spacing was a surprise because I used to not get along with 5-string basses unless they were at least 18mm. Even the 17.5mm of a Stingray5 felt odd. But that was when I was not playing 5-strings much. For the past year and a half I've been playing 5-strings regularly and with that came the realisation that I don't care about the spacing as much as I used to. The 17.5mm spacing actually feels quite good and I might even prefer it to 19mm now, which is not where I was a few years ago.

But the thing about teh G string... I remember trying Stingray5 basses a couple of times and feeling the G string was way too close to the edge of the fingerboard. I don't have any issues with the Ray35 (in that respect, it had *other* issues ;) ). It doesn't *look* to me different from what I see on Stingray5 photographs, but it's not a good way to compare them. It's entirely possible that the neck profile/dimensions are not close to what EBMM uses for their Stingray5, of course...

Does anybody know how the EBMM Stingray5 and the Ray35 compare with regards to the neck dimensions, and in particular the width of the fingerboard?

Here's the Ray35, because why not :)

IMG_20220820_165605.jpg?dl=1

• Like 3

Curiously, I never noticed this feature with the Stingray Special 5 I’ve just sold. I very much did however with both USA Sterling 5s I’ve owned (supposedly identical neck dimensions) and earlier SR5s too. Looking at specs online the only difference I can see is that a SR5 nut is 44.5mm and a Ray35 is 45mm.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dub_junkie said:

Been a while since I owned either a StingRay 5 or Ray35 but just wanted to say that your bass looks incredible.

I love the combination of the colour,  the roasted neck and the black hardware.

That is all. 

It looks better in person :)

It's a shame the hardware is utter crap. The tuner gears chew themselves, and when others reported that to SBMM they just get sent another set of tuners made of cheese, so I ordered a set of hipshots because otherwise is a pretty nice bass (if heavy).

Read about the tuner issue - that's  not good at all 😐

I've entertained the idea of getting one of these since they were first announced. Hope this issue is sorted by the time I get one. 

btw is the tuner issue just with the black hardware on the purple 4 and 5 strings?

13 hours ago, dub_junkie said:

Read about the tuner issue - that's  not good at all 😐

I've entertained the idea of getting one of these since they were first announced. Hope this issue is sorted by the time I get one. 

btw is the tuner issue just with the black hardware on the purple 4 and 5 strings?

It seems it's only the black tuners, and only on the purple sparkle ones. It probably depends on which factory was making what at the time. The blue sparkle that came out at the same time, with chrome hardware, doesn't appear to have problems.

I was hesitant to keep it, because with the tuners it becomes quite an overpriced bass. I could have bought a very nice condition USA Stingray5 and have a wad of extra cash in my pocket... but I'm happy with my decision now. Yeah, I paid over the odds, but it's a good bass and I just love that finish :D

• Thanks 1

I caved in today and bought a Ray35. Not the purple one but the vintage sunburst with roasted neck.

pvqtrdxxoiaue94nzrao.thumb.jpg.39e9a7bf56bc04cd16382eeef314d737.jpg

If I end up gigging the Ray35 as my main bass I'll likely upgrade one of my Ray25CAs to the purple 35 then. Hopefully the tuner issue might be sorted by then too. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Graham said:

It's been a while since I looked at a bass and immediately wanted it, that's stunning! And you say there's a blue one as well?

Yup, this one, and the tuners on that one don't chew themselves, it seems. :)

RAY35-BSK-M2_shopify_2000x.png?v=1647638

• Like 2

On 30/08/2022 at 21:22, dub_junkie said:

I caved in today and bought a Ray35. Not the purple one but the vintage sunburst with roasted neck.

pvqtrdxxoiaue94nzrao.thumb.jpg.39e9a7bf56bc04cd16382eeef314d737.jpg

If I end up gigging the Ray35 as my main bass I'll likely upgrade one of my Ray25CAs to the purple 35 then. Hopefully the tuner issue might be sorted by then too. 

I've got the 4 string version of this, bought s/h from this site.

It's light (3.8kg) and wonderful. 

• Like 1

On 31/08/2022 at 13:15, dub_junkie said:

That blue sparkle finish is equally as nice as the purple. I see they do a light green sparkle on the 4 but not on the 5 but don't think you can go wrong with either finish available on the five string.

The more I look it the more I like it!