Why become a member? ×

Pick Players - A question ?

Guest BassAdder27

Where on the string are you using the pick...  near the bridge? In the same way as when I use fingers, I use a different point on the string according to what tone I need. For the most part, to get that fatter tone, I use the pick much further up, around the 19th fret.

• Like 1

Got some leather pics... nice on the acoustic with flats... but they are not very stiff so slow goin' which again is fine on the acoustic.

I also have some wood picks... warm and no real click, but rigid.

Agreed 0.8 is good to give the string a twang, rather than a clunk with a 1mm +

Although I use JD Jazz III as a hangover from skinny strings, love the size and feel and just use the tip.

On 21/08/2022 at 17:23, BassAdder27 said:

Still seeking the tone from pick playing  on my PBass and I have a question ? 

I miss the fullness of tone that I get finger style so the question is with a pick should I just 

1: dial back the tone control

2 : increase the bass on my amp 

I’m sure I’ve tried this but maybe not enough extra bass and backing off the tone control 

Why do I still seek pick playing, speed of playing and it just suits the rock style better 

I play both pick and fingerstyle.

I find rolling off the tone a little does the job - takes out some of that harsh clackiness, but still allows you to dig in and get that nice pick attack. 

You might be right tho - adding some bass probably would work. Depends on your gear I suppose, and how it all sounds when it’s cooking along at stage volumes etc. 

I usually play on a P bass midway between the pickup and the bridge (just enough to avoid hitting either of them.)

For years I’ve been using those big yellow Dunlop .73mm picks (like a rounded off triangle) but I seem to be the only person on Earth who likes them! 

Edited by bassbiscuits