Why become a member? ×

Ever wanted to write down music but don't know where to start?

My new YouTube video lesson is an easy guide to get you up and running with writing down music. You don't need any fancy software, you just need a pen and the manuscript paper which I'll give you in the free PDF booklet to print out.

It’s so handy to be able to notate music, even if you just want to scribble down a riff to remember later on.

Notating music also helps to speed up learning to read music and the two skills complement each other. 

The PDF booklet link is in the video description. 

I’d love to hear how you get on so leave a comment under the video to let me know or if you have any questions please ask. 

https://youtu.be/Dm8T99qR2DU

• Like 4

Speaking as someone who hardly ever puts pen to paper for anything it may be worth highlighting that if you do want to use software, Musescore is totally free and better than many paid for packages (I’ve had Coda and Sibelius and I’m perfectly happy with Musescore for my needs). The massive plus point is that you can hear what you’ve written, including chord symbols, and can download and use other peoples’ scores. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

Speaking as someone who hardly ever puts pen to paper for anything it may be worth highlighting that if you do want to use software, Musescore is totally free and better than many paid for packages (I’ve had Coda and Sibelius and I’m perfectly happy with Musescore for my needs). The massive plus point is that you can hear what you’ve written, including chord symbols, and can download and use other peoples’ scores. 

Good suggestion @FDC484950

Music notation software is great, I use Sibelius pretty much everyday. But I recommend students to physically write down music first of all as it helps with learning to read music as well. It’s good to learn the rules of writing but software programs will automatically do this for you. 

Once you’ve mastered and understand notation then using software programs make a lot of sense. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Sibelius First is a free app for PC, Mac or iOS etc... it's limited to four simultaneous part, but it's perfect for learning to write (and improve reading) written music.

https://www.avid.com/sibelius

Yes @paul_5 that’s a good suggestion for a software program but I highly recommend that beginner readers physically write down music first to learn the basics properly. Programs will automatically do a lot of this which is great once you’ve established the basics. 

• Like 1

On 20/08/2022 at 11:40, FDC484950 said:

Absolutely...

Writing down with pen and paper is of course, a great way of learning. It's how most of us started off years ago.

But, printing off paper and scanning to upload does tend to put people off plus, there is more house cleaning to do with all that paper.

Notation Apps, even the basic apps/SE editions allow you to keep things neat and tidy, plus clean storage with PDF files. You can travel around or, sit in your arm chair (or whatever) with your phone or iPad going over things.

As said above, a notation app will also playback your ramblings which is great for ear training and the thing that puts most off, or confuses them - Understanding the written Rhythms better when you can hear them played back....

Another good freebie is Dorico SE. You get a bunch of free sounds as well.

Dorico SE: Free Music Notation Software | Steinberg

• Like 1

On 20/08/2022 at 10:53, greghagger said:

Ever wanted to write down music but don't know where to start?

My new YouTube video lesson is an easy guide to get you up and running with writing down music. You don't need any fancy software, you just need a pen and the manuscript paper which I'll give you in the free PDF booklet to print out.

It’s so handy to be able to notate music, even if you just want to scribble down a riff to remember later on.

Notating music also helps to speed up learning to read music and the two skills complement each other. 

The PDF booklet link is in the video description. 

I’d love to hear how you get on so leave a comment under the video to let me know or if you have any questions please ask. 

https://youtu.be/Dm8T99qR2DU

I've just watched your video, Greg. It's well presented and runs along at an easily, viewable tempo.

There's plenty of good, understandable info for people starting off down the route of writing and reading notation.

Good stuff.

👍

• Thanks 1

On 22/08/2022 at 16:01, lowdown said:

I've just watched your video, Greg. It's well presented and runs along at an easily, viewable tempo.

There's plenty of good, understandable info for people starting off down the route of writing and reading notation.

Good stuff.

👍

Hey @lowdown thanks man! 

Good suggestion for software in your last message. I highly recommend going down that route for students once they have grasped the basic of writing music. 

I’m running a boot camp in September for beginner readers and there will be notation tasks so I made the YouTube lesson to help with that as well as for general viewing. 

• 1 month later...

I’ve just come across this particular section on basschat to which I thank you all.
Is there such thing as a app you can write tab notes onto a iPad ?  

i noticed a few apps where you can write scores etc, but I read tab very easily 

Thanks 

• Like 1

On 03/10/2022 at 08:06, Dusty said:

I’ve just come across this particular section on basschat to which I thank you all.
Is there such thing as a app you can write tab notes onto a iPad ?  

i noticed a few apps where you can write scores etc, but I read tab very easily 

Thanks 

Hi @Dusty I use Sibelius to notate music and Tab. It’s pretty expensive but I need powerful software as I use it every day. 

There are free options out there for notation software that works on the iPad. Usually you have the option to write Tab as well as notation on these programs. 

Maybe someone on here knows of some free or cheaper options? 

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, CaroleCastiglione said:

Greg, I am very grateful to you for this guide. For me, this is really valuable. I write songs by the way. And I feel like it's time to start writing them down. So you helped me a lot. 

That is so great to hear. I’m really glad that you got a lot of use out of this video. Good luck with the songwriting. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/04/2023 at 23:58, greghagger said:

That is so great to hear. I’m really glad that you got a lot of use out of this video. Good luck with the songwriting. 

I'm getting a strong smell of chopped pork and ham under a proprietary name from that account, Greg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 20/08/2022 at 13:40, FDC484950 said:

Speaking as someone who hardly ever puts pen to paper for anything it may be worth highlighting that if you do want to use software, Musescore is totally free and better than many paid for packages (I’ve had Coda and Sibelius and I’m perfectly happy with Musescore for my needs). The massive plus point is that you can hear what you’ve written, including chord symbols, and can download and use other peoples’ scores. I understand that dealing with a lagging website can be frustrating, especially when trying to express thoughts about different shops. However, I've found that despite the occasional glitches, the ACL website provides a unique platform for sharing experiences. Your concerns are valid, and I empathize with the challenges you're facing. On a related note, if you ever need a seamless experience with a reliable writing service, I recommend checking out platform https://essaypro.cоm/pay-for-research-paper ensures a smooth process when paying for research papers, allowing you to focus on your academic goals without unnecessary interruptions. Wishing you smoother interactions and happy writing!

Yo, if you're not big on putting ink on paper, Musescore's the real deal. It's free, beats some paid software hands down. I've had Coda and Sibelius, but Musescore's my jam. You can hear your tunes, mess with chord symbols, and snag other people's scores. It's a win-win! 🎵🎶 #MusescoreFan

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shanashian said:

Yo, if you're not big on putting ink on paper, Musescore's the real deal. It's free, beats some paid software hands down. I've had Coda and Sibelius, but Musescore's my jam. You can hear your tunes, mess with chord symbols, and snag other people's scores. It's a win-win! 🎵🎶 #MusescoreFan

Great tip. I’ve heard good things about Musescore.