Why become a member? ×

Useless for small knobs

tauzero

Along with my headless guitar what I bought from Thomann a few days ago, I bought a knob puller, in the hope that it would make removing my knobs simpler. This consists of a U-shaped part with jaws and a ring. You put the jaws on the knob [1], slide the ring down it, then pull the loop of the U-shaped bit to pull the knob off. [2] However, unless your knob is 25mm/1" in diameter, this is doomed to failure as the jaws won't clamp on. I tried rotating the ring (as can be seen from the picture, it's a deformed circle) and thought I had cracked it, but no. So if your knob has a flange (eg. Strat) or it's a big speed knob (eg. Les Paul), you should be OK, but if not, you're doomed to anti-climactic disappointment.

945634113_knobpuller.jpg.9f6d64b714660764f565f7ae2d24e819.jpg

[1] Linda Lovelace's job description

[2] This is getting very Nigella

Credit card and a dessert spoon. 

Place credit card on a solid part of the bass to protect finish and spread the load, place spoon tip under edge of knob with the back of the spoon bowl on the credit card, gently press down on spoon handle, rotate knob half a turn, press down on handle again. 

Repeat until knob is released.