Why become a member? ×

User experiences, comments and comparisons

Merton

[quote name='Merton' post='294327' date='Sep 29 2008, 09:18 AM']New favourite sounds:

My V-Type going through the Compact
CK's Shuttle going through the Compact
andyonbass' LH500 going through the Compact.

Er. I like that cab![/quote]

It was a beast, that's for sure! How much are you costing them out at, Alex? I'd be interested in a light-but-loud sometime soon!

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='294356' date='Sep 29 2008, 10:05 AM']It was a beast, that's for sure! How much are you costing them out at, Alex? I'd be interested in a light-but-loud sometime soon![/quote]

£400 for The Compact. £625 for The Big One.

However I think The Big One needs a name change because it's too small! How about The Big Sound?

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

• 3 months later...

OK, I admit it, I am probably responsible for making Alex go through the crossover redesign. Sorry Alex :huh:

He lent me his Big One :) (ooo-er) to try out before xmas and I found it to have a peak around 1KHz to my ears.

Not trying to detract from it at all chaps, I was comparing it to my ae410 and using my sa450 flat (just switching the speakon from one to the other) and found that a dip of several dB was required at around 1KHz on the (not very scientifically marked) sa450 to lessen the peak there, it was just way too bright for my ears.

Once the mid peak was eq-ed out it is a phenominal sounding cab IMO, and I couldnt stress it out for want of trying (oh how my neighbours enjoyed that afternoon!). It does go very deep, it is stupidly light for such a loud thing, and it will be worth the money IMO. It doesnt do zing a la a really good tweeter/crossover (like the ae410 and not a lot else). It isnt really designed to I think, but it does offer immense articulation and no super bright tweeter hell (err Eden anyone).

Turns out that Alex took my thoughts on the chin, and went off to get hold of a bunch of better test equiptment to figure out what was going on. Proper engineer stylee!

I didn't post before because I didnt know what Alex intended to do about it - I didnt expect a full on crossover redesign but thats what Alex has decided is necessary to alleviate the issue.

In fairness Alex goes for a very full deep sound with muddy skanky old strings (yuck!) etc, I am a polar opposite, I like it all super punchy and so have much much newer strings, this meant that Alex didnt hear this peak and I did. Since he is designing this as a cab for anyone not just himself I think its really impressive that he has taken a step back, redesigned his crossover and added some toggles to allow the built in mid presence to shine if it helps you achieve your tone goal (more likely because he likes it himself I reckon!).

I hope to get another listen once the crossover is rebuilt!

He also mentioned testing the ae410 to see why its so good, we'll see about doing that later in the year maybe (when the weather wont freeze me solid whilst he assaults my cab with pink noise and test mics).

Tried in it band practice last night using preshape 1 on the U5 to even out the current midrange hump. Hands down the best live bass sound I have ever heard and incredibly consistent around the room. I did think that The Compact was so good that The Big One might be a lot of extra cost and a fair bit more size for little improvement but it is truly in another league to every other bass cab I have ever used. Depth, fatness, growl, punch, thickness, clarity, the lot! Am dead chuffed.

Alex

Just to prove to Alex that I'm able to avoid the telephone better than he, I thought I'd better post here! :huh:

Alex very kindly dropped off the Big One at work today and we had a lovely lunch talking all things bass. This cab is unbelievably light. Bigger than a Trace 1153 but astonishingly light in comparison, it almost feels lighter than my LH500 in its flightcase :)

We were, at first, slightly concerned it wouldn't fit in the boot of my car (04 Ford Focus hatchback) but it does with consummate ease (picture proof later!)

At present the cab has 2 strap handles; Alex went through his ideas for wheels and placement of a third strap handle. Wheels are definitely a luxury rather than a necessity, this cab is so easy to pick up and with the third handle there will be a multitude of carrying options. That said, the wheels will provide that extra transportability (is that a word? it is now!)

The crossover is still the original design; Alex has plans for finishing the new design and fitting it soon, plus a great idea for an L-pad style switch in the middle port - easier to switch in and out from the front than leaning over to the back!

Well, that's about all I can say for now. I cannot wait to get this plugged in and hear it; the rehearsals and gig next week wll be awesome fun!

[quote name='Merton' post='374111' date='Jan 8 2009, 03:01 PM']We were, at first, slightly concerned it wouldn't fit in the boot of my car (04 Ford Focus hatchback) but it does with consummate ease (picture proof later!)[/quote]
Very important, this one. Nearly as important as an '01 Focus.

• 2 weeks later...

Should have posted in here to say that I took delivery of a Compact a couple of months ago. Sadly, my band has pretty much been on hiatus since then so I haven't been able to use it apart from in a couple of rehearsals.

The main things I found were that it was 1. very loud, 2. kinda old school but really quite clear at the same time, 3. worked well with all my amps/basses - especially passive Jazz basses.

Alex,

I guess I should add comment here that I visited Merton's flat last weekend to have a look at the loaned Big One. I believe this is pre-crossover modifications.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I was very impressed. The low end sounded lovely (especially with the rumbly B string going through it).

I'd have love to have had it at gig volumes, but I think we were in danger of p***ing Merton's neighbours off!

If I had the spare cash, I must admit I'd be tussling to get a good space in the queue.

I think the biggest surprise for me was the look. I have to admit they had an air of "homemade PA cab" about them in the pictures on this thread, but in the flesh they are much easier on the eye. I think a few touches such as company badge will more than finish them off anyway.

Good luck with it all, and maybe in a year's time I'll be knocking on your door!

All the best,

Stew (Huge Hands)

Thought I'd say this to add to my review [topic="34439"]HERE[/topic]: did another gig with The Compact a couple of days ago where another aspect of it's design revealed itself. The load-in was via a narrow staircase but I was still able to carry all my gear in one go, due to the shallow cab design and handle placement. When I think of the problems I used to have carting gear around ;)

I raised my rig off the boomy, hollow stage and got an excellent sound: fat but controlled, with plenty of clarity. (The sound engineer asked me to turn down during sound check though...bah!).

This cab really is ideal for the gigging bass player who doesn't want to compromise on tone and it continues to impress - good job Alex! I'm sure your other cabs will find their niche too.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, used the Big One & LH-1000 in anger last night & I can safely say that it is the best bass sound I've ever had, better even then the Peavey Mark IV & Sunn 2x15 I had 20 years ago ;) . Everything was there in spades - bass, middle, treble and VOLUME.

I had to roll off a bit of bass to stop the stage vibrating too much, but me sound cut through 2 guits & the drums like a very hot knife through some very soft butter. For the first time in Lord knows how long, the drummist was unable to complain about playing the fastest songs because he couldn't hear the bass. Hehe.

I also couldn't believe how light the cab is - far lighter than the LH-1000 and fits perfectly in the boot of a Focus with room for the amp & rackbag. The one downside is the sensitivity of the cab when paired with such a powerful amp - I bridged it [so 750w into 8 ohms] and struggled to get it above 1 and a bit with PA support. Next time, I might just use one side of the dual-parallel amps [225w into 8 ohms].

It will go louder than I can stand and was shaking too many things loose to get above 5 for long, suffice to say, one would never be short of volume with one of these. Unless the PA broke at Wembley.

Recommended. And for all you 4 ohm purists out there - 8 is probably fine.

[EDIT: [i]seems[/i] far lighter than the LH-1000]

Edited by johnnylager

Blinding! Loud, fat, clear. I have never been able to hear myself so well before. Definitely didn't need all the power I had on tap - with one side of the PLX 3002 the amp was just cruising, much more sensitive in practice than I expected.

After the gig I walked a few hundred yards to my car with my rackcase in one hand and the Big One in the other. Not exactly effortless but at least it was possible!

Alex

• 1 month later...

My Compact arrived this morning! I unwrapped it earlier this afternoon after finishing work, and have had a quick play through it already (at low volume, mind!)- sounds pretty good so far!

A comprehensively-written manual/information pack was included, which I've just had a look through- very interesting!

On first impressions, the cab seems solid and well-constructed. There's just one minor issue to rectify (which I'm going to PM Alex about), but on the whole I'm very happy with my new purchase! On the rear panel, there's a single high-quality Neutrik Speakon connector in the top-left corner, which will be easy to access when setting up on a gig. The Compact really does feel very light to pick up, and balances superbly on its single side-mounted handle- I reckon that I'll be able to one-trip this from the van with the rest of my gear no problem!

Here's some pics...

[attachment=23530:DSC00063.JPG]
[attachment=23531:DSC00062.JPG]
[attachment=23532:DSC00061.JPG]

[quote name='Etienne' post='458587' date='Apr 9 2009, 05:08 PM']There's just one minor issue to rectify (which I'm going to PM Alex about)[/quote]

Now if a proper engineer had designed those plastic corners he'd have realised that the 90 degree angle on the inside will concentrate the stress and thus be a weak point. However that does mean that if the cab takes a knock the breaking of the coner will dissipate the energy, like a crumple zone on a car. Should I enclose a spare corner with each cab?

By the way, have you peeled the protective plastic off the badge? Should have mentioned that in the manual...

Alex

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='460061' date='Apr 11 2009, 06:40 PM']Don't scratch it, now. G'wan g'wan g'wan.

Have a good time.[/quote]

Giving it another coat of finish before it heads out so it looks totally new and shiny!

Used the PLX3002 bridged into it last night. Bloody ridiculous, best bass tone ever. Has anyone ever used a bass cab which the whole band (including the drummer) can hear clearly, yet still fill the whole venue with fat sound without PA support, without overwhelming the onstage mix? I haven't before, but this cab did just that. Amazing! Will measure the crossover tomorrow but it can't be far from perfect after that performance!

Alex

[quote name='steve-soar' post='461610' date='Apr 13 2009, 09:49 PM']Which is better, Barefaced Big one, or an AccuGrove Tri115L, only one way to find out.....FIGHT. :)[/quote]

My money's on Alex - any company that can come up with utter sh!te like the Accuswitch has to be at best pretty suspect. That plot of the Big One is as close to perfect as you're likely to see this side of a pretty expensive hi-fi.

A

[quote name='johnnylager' post='462485' date='Apr 14 2009, 09:02 PM']I'll be A/Bing a Compact and a Peavey 4x10 on Sunday. I'll let you know what happens.[/quote]
The Compact will win :)

EDIT: and I don't even know what they're fighting (tone/volume/portability/low frequency extension...) :rolleyes:

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Protium' post='462543' date='Apr 14 2009, 10:09 PM']Wouldn't mind an A/B with the Schroeder tbh[/quote]

Just received this email: "Received the cab today. My first impression is that it looks great, is very well finished and is just the right size for my ABM500 to sit on top :-) I've only tried it out in the house but it sounds fatter, bassier and cleaner than anything I've owned before and the bass extension puts my Schroeder 1212 to shame - that's probably not much of a surprise though!!"

Alex

[quote name='Merton' post='462496' date='Apr 14 2009, 09:15 PM']The Compact will win :)

EDIT: and I don't even know what they're fighting (tone/volume/portability/low frequency extension...) :D[/quote]

Yeah, having owned a Peavey 4x10, the Compact will win hands down, on all fronts!

I was in the market for a new cab back in November last year and fancied an Epi UL310:

* 3 x 250w RMS Cast Aluminum Frame
* 100w RMS Tweeter
* Freq Response: 40hz - 16khz
* Power Rating: 750w RMS (1800w Peak)
* 5.3 Ohms
* Suggested Wattage: 200w - 1000w
* Sensitivity: 103db SPL @ 1w 1m
* Dimensions: 23" H x 21.5" W x 16.5 " D
* 47 lbs.
* £960

The Compact: 25.5" high x 19.5" wide x 13.5" deep / 32lbs / 8 Ohms / 100dB / F3=63Hz F6=51Hz / £400

Tried the Epi with my amp & bass (see sig.) and of course it's a pretty good cab: fat-sounding, punchy etc. but I could get it to crap out when it was pushed and not very hard either. So, having followed this thread and contacted Alex, thought I'd take a punt on a Compact...

Compared to the Epi, it's smaller, 15lbs lighter, has less top end and on paper, can't handle as much power. All true, except the power handling part and it's £560 cheaper! It can also handle anything I throw at it, without crapping out, where the Epi was struggling at the same volume levels.

I know this is all subjective, but for me the Compact works in the real world of gigs, rehearsals etc. - and I didn't need a loan to get it :rolleyes: