Why become a member? ×

Help with strings

Guest gazzatriumph

Guest gazzatriumph

Hi all,
I've recently moved to playing short scale (30 inch) after playing 34 inch since I started playing 40 years ago. I'm alot happier with the size and weight of the bass for comfort reasons. I have a custom Maruszczyk Elwood with an Aguilera humbucker and HC jazz pick ups. I bought short scale version the roundwounds I have used for years D addario XL170 but found them a bit floppy to play so I have put on La Bellas 760 FL S Deep talking bass strings which for finger playing are great and get rid of the sloppiness but I'm struggling to get a good tone with a pick. I play rock and pop covers. I'm looking for any recommendations for a stiffer roundwound, I like the feel of the nickel coated ones. Do I need a different gauge. Any advice appreciated as buying different strings is an expensive game. Thanks.

Guest gazzatriumph
1 hour ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Yes, generally you'll need a heavier string for shorter scale.

I use D'Addario  EXL160M (50-105) on my string-through Mustang and find them ideal. I also found the LaBellas too floppy.

The la bella flats I'm using aren't floppy they feel fine.

1 hour ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Yes, generally you'll need a heavier string for shorter scale.

I use D'Addario  EXL160M (50-105) on my string-through Mustang and find them ideal. I also found the LaBellas too floppy.

Beat me to it - going up a gauge should sort things. 

Guest gazzatriumph

I've looked at their website, I'd not heard of them before, I'll give them a call, be good to support a British company.  I'm guessing you are pleased with their strings.

8 minutes ago, gazzatriumph said:

I've looked at their website, I'd not heard of them before, I'll give them a call, be good to support a British company.  I'm guessing you are pleased with their strings.

Very - they are on at least 50% of my basses I think.

On top of that, I ordered recently and the package got lost in the post, so Neil kindly made up a fresh batch of strings and sent them out same day. Can't fault his service or his strings!

ACG use them as stock strings on their basses - says a lot! 

They are very good quality and fairly priced too. 

Neil also will make a totally custom set for you, even if it is for a 10 string bass! (Yet to order but he said he could do it).

Guest gazzatriumph

I was using  use 45 65 80 100 D'addarios XL, so Neil suggested the 48 68 88 108 to help stop the floppyness. I'm using 45 65 85 105 on my Fender MIM mustang and i could live with them so the slightl increase should do it.

Edited by gazzatriumph