Why become a member? ×

My band released their 1st vinyl this week

meterman

The psychedelic funk collective I play in released our 1st 45rpm vinyl this week. We did a limited edition of 5” clear vinyl lathe cuts plus digital downloads for the non-physical-format folks. The lathe cuts sold out in a few hours. I was expecting them to take weeks to shift as we’re only a studio concern and have zero live following. Next time tho we will press more physical copies 😎

The little 5” lathe cuts turned out to be a winner. I thought we’d be saddled with unsold copies forever 😂

https://dimerecordsfrance.bandcamp.com/album/pool-phase-hashisch-scene

Hope the next ones go okay too.

Btw, nobody seemed to mind that we used a cassette 4-track to make a record with. Or a cheapo Squier Jazz bass. If we can do it, anyone can! 😎

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

From 'The-Off'....Air (La Femme... Moon Safari) meets 70' Film Incidental Muisc (Think 'Bullitt')... Both of which i love.

But, where is the rest of it?

Over too soon... Link to more please.

@metermanSweet tone...

Thank you, and pretty close to the mark influence wise. Our other big faves were early A Certain Ratio, and Can and the early US post punk scene, things like Liquid Liquid or ESG. All the records that got sampled for early hip hop records basically.

And yeah, the 45 had to be an edit as a 5” single can only fit 2 minutes per side. The album version will be nearer 6 minutes. With more Minimoog. And Mellotron. And more percussion breaks. 👍

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2023 at 22:08, Woodwind said:

@metermanthis sounds fantastic.

A really nice sound from a cassette 4 track!

Where did you get your 5" lathe cuts done?

Cheers

Thomas

Hi - sorry for the late reply, I haven’t logged in here for a while, the lathe cuts were done in Cardiff by a company called Lathe To The Grave. I’ve done three different projects with them so far and they have been brilliant and easy to work with. Can recommend 100%

https://www.lathetothegrave.com

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meterman said:

Hi - sorry for the late reply, I haven’t logged in here for a while, the lathe cuts were done in Cardiff by a company called Lathe To The Grave. I’ve done three different projects with them so far and they have been brilliant and easy to work with. Can recommend 100%

https://www.lathetothegrave.com

Absolutely no need for apologies 

Thank you so much for the info on Lathe To The Grave!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/02/2023 at 15:28, discojoe said:

The words "psychedelic funk collective" grabbed my attention and your track certainly didn't dissappoint. It's like The Menahan Street Band meets Martin Denny. 

Mint. 

Thank you! 🙏  I admit, I do like The Menahan Street Band and Martin Denny, spot on 👍

We just had a couple of 7” singles out on a label in the US last month as well. Flute, vibraphone, zither, electric sitar, Space Echo, analog synths, drums, pick bass etc. Sort of David Axelrod / Gabor Szabo / Can / The Poets Of Rhythm, kind of thing. But done on a 4-track 😂 Funky but not ‘straight’ if you know what I mean?

• Like 3