Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie amps - 2 questions ?

Hi Folks

Are there any Mesa Boogie owners out there who can help me with a couple of questions :

First, where's the best place to buy slow-blow fuses for my 2 Mesa amps? I have a Walkabout and  Big Block 750. 

Secondly, I've read on both Talkbass and here on Basschat that the Walkabout will run safely at 2 ohms and just wondered if anyone on here has had experience of doing that safely? 

Thanks for reading as ever.. 👍

Nik 

Very early on, they were ok at 2 ohms but we had a difficult time getting consistent MOSFETs and through 2 changes of manufacturer it became obvious that they were struggling with the process as well. This resulted in higher than acceptable failure rates into 2 ohms, so we discontinued the 2 ohm acceptable rating. 

Because these amps are quite expensive to repair (and difficult to get parts) , I would not recommend 2 ohm operation on any of the MOSFET amps. The Subway amps however, are fine with 2 ohms, using the 2 ohm mode switch on the back.

8 hours ago, agedhorse said:

Very early on, they were ok at 2 ohms but we had a difficult time getting consistent MOSFETs and through 2 changes of manufacturer it became obvious that they were struggling with the process as well. This resulted in higher than acceptable failure rates into 2 ohms, so we discontinued the 2 ohm acceptable rating. 

Because these amps are quite expensive to repair (and difficult to get parts) , I would not recommend 2 ohm operation on any of the MOSFET amps. The Subway amps however, are fine with 2 ohms, using the 2 ohm mode switch on the back.

There's been a lot of debate around this issue on various sites, i'd see this post as the definitive answer at last 👍

• Like 2

8 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

Thanks for the feedback, Folks! 

Point noted about the Walkabout especially @Beedster... 

And just to be 100% clear, is that also the case with the Big Block 750 @agedhorse

Yes, and many of these parts are becoming difficult (or impossible) to source because the manufacturers are discontinuing them. 4 ohms is what I would recommend as a safe minimum load. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, agedhorse said:

Yes, and many of these parts are becoming difficult (or impossible) to source because the manufacturers are discontinuing them. 4 ohms is what I would recommend as a safe minimum load. 

Thanks for the clarification and help @agedhorse - really appreciate it! 👍

I really love the sound of these amps, so the last thing I'd want to do is cause them to break down beyond the point of repair. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I have a Walkabout 15 and have to agree. A flip-top on steroids.

I have a spare Subway 15" 8 ohm speaker and am tempted to install that and see how it works with the TT-800. I'd think about getting a WD-800 to power it.

I don't recommend it, the tuning is quite different on the Walkabout. If you do try it, de-rate the Subway driver to about 250-300 watts RMS or you could damage it.

• Thanks 1