Why become a member? ×

NA & NCD - Ampeg Content.

VTypeV4

These monsters were collected over the weekend from a lovely chap near Southport. Barely used, I now have an SVT CL, 410HE and 115E! Really, I've bought it all for the studio but always kinda fancied an Ampeg rig and is something of a contrast to my usual Trace Elliot setup(s!). Initial impressions are very good both in terms of build quality (these are chinese examples) and performance - the biggest surprise is that EQ being very powerful and flexible - I had no issue dialling my usual noise. Whilst I've not yet used it at 'stun' or 'kill' volumes, power certainly doesn't feel like it's going to be an issue! 😀  

SVT CL722

SVT CL722

SVT CL722

SVT CL722

• Like 13

Very cool indeed. I had a SVT-CL and an SVT-810 a while ago. The cab was a breeze with the bar and wheels but the head was another story. It came in a flight case that weighed another 15 or so KGs so the whole lot weighed around 55kgs with those silly fold out wire handles. 

I was carrying it one day and stumbled and as I went to stop the head from falling I managed to tear my bicep partially off the bone! 

I sold  it shortly afterwards...but at least I could say I owned an Ampeg stack once! 😎

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I was carrying it one day and stumbled and as I went to stop the head from falling I managed to tear my bicep partially off the bone!

I sold  it shortly afterwards...but at least I could say I owned an Ampeg stack once! 😎

Oh, that's rough - and painful by the sounds of things!

2 hours ago, GarfyBass said:

Awesome setup. I love my V4B & 212 but the CL is my next want. 

I was debating over getting a V4BH for the studio during the last couple of months, I also put a post on here a few weeks back asking about those who'd owned both one of these and the CL. During this time, only one came up for sale on eBay (none on here or FB) but I hesitated and by the time I looked again, inevitably, it had gone. 😬 With no V4BH's to be seen, I thought I might as well go 'full fat' and got this lot instead. 😃 Clearly I've spent a bit more cash than planned but expect the SVT will see plenty of work at the studio..

• Like 1

I've had a closer look round the back and the valve compliment looks great too with JJ pre-amp / driver tubes and EHX 6550s in the engine room. I've had good service from both brands - my V4 is fitted with EHX KT88s and has them in for the last 5 years with no trauma and pretty much everything else - including the Fender Bassman has JJs throughout. 😃

One should be careful to keep heater draw in mind when substituting output tubes. The V4 was designed for 7027A outputs which draw 0.9A at 6.3V each. 6550 and KT88 tubes need 1.6A each.  That's a significant difference. Some of the newer output tube pull as much as 2,5A for their heaters. This increase equates to a shorter life span for the power transformer.

1 hour ago, BassmanPaul said:

One should be careful to keep heater draw in mind when substituting output tubes. The V4 was designed for 7027A outputs which draw 0.9A at 6.3V each. 6550 and KT88 tubes need 1.6A each.  That's a significant difference. Some of the newer output tube pull as much as 2,5A for their heaters. This increase equates to a shorter life span for the power transformer.

Thanks for the info Paul but the particular V4 in reference there is of the Trace Elliot rather than the Ampeg variety - I should have said. My V4 Mk2 is something of a rare 200w KT88 based amp - essentially a half power V8. 😃