Why become a member? ×

PRICE DROP - Ashdown Labs MK500 Mark King Signature Bass Head - £375 - *SOLD*
£425
Buckinghamshire

Jave

NOW SOLD

MK500 Mark King Signature 575W bass head from Ashdown Labs.

Excellent condition and working order. If you like crystal-clear high-fidelity funk machines, this is for you!

Manufacturer's description: "Ashdown has worked in conjunction with Mark King create an amplifier which meets the UK bass legend’s requirements for absolute fidelity and clarity, precision tone shaping and masses of power on tap for stunning dynamics. The result is the AL-MK500, a 575 Watts RMS funk powerhouse with low impedance instrument input, illuminated VU meter, Harmonic Emphasis, 12-band graphic EQ, switchable pre and post EQ balanced DI output, tuner output with mute switch, line output, effects loop and speaker outputs on jack and Speakon connectors."

Specs: https://ashdownmusic.com/products/mk-500

Included: LD Systems rack bag!

Reason for selling: moving abroad

IMG_9984.JPG

IMG_9982.JPG

IMG_9981.JPG

IMG_9977.JPG

IMG_9978.JPG

IMG_9985.JPG

Edited by Jave
SOLD
  • Like 4

On 15/07/2022 at 22:09, Jaybeevee said:

Can you run Two 8ohm Cabs? 

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply. Yes! It's a 4ohm head, so it's actually ideal for a two 8ohm cab rig.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jave said:

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply. Yes! It's a 4ohm head, so it's actually ideal for a two 8ohm cab rig.

No worries.. Very little info on these.. spec etc.. I read on TB a suggestion that Cabs would need to be daisy chained? But i guess the speakon and Jack out put will each take an 8ohm cab?

Supprisingly few demo vids also.. wierd

1 hour ago, Jaybeevee said:

No worries.. Very little info on these.. spec etc.. I read on TB a suggestion that Cabs would need to be daisy chained? But i guess the speakon and Jack out put will each take an 8ohm cab?

The full spec is in the link in my original description, and a quick Google turns up the manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/559339/Ashdown-Mark-King-Mk500.html#manual

I think the speakon and jack allows for versatility of connections when connecting one cab, and you can use different cables simultaneously for two different cabs.

1 hour ago, Jaybeevee said:

I think when you daisy-chain cabs with Speakons they're connected in parallel.

Its almost certainly the same power stage as an ABM, so a class AB. I don't think I have ever seen anything written down but I would be very surprised if it wasn't just their normal (at the time) ABM500 with a full graphic on the front and voicing as selected by Mark King.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sammybass said:

Sorry for my ignorance - is this Class D or solid state?

In the only demo video i found (for the 12 band 600) Phil Mann describes it as solid state 'with a big old transformer' in the back..

• Thanks 1

• Jave changed the title to PRICE DROP - Ashdown Labs MK500 Mark King Signature Bass Head - £375
17 hours ago, Sammybass said:

Sorry for my ignorance - is this Class D or solid state?

Class D is solid state...

This is solid state class AB - big toroidal transformer in the PSU and MOSFET AB power amp.

Class D is a power amp topology generally using MOSFETs as well, often used with Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) as between them they lower the weight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to an (expired) ad on Reverb, this weighs 14kg (just under 31 pounds in old money):

"Ashdown has worked in conjunction with Mark King create an amplifier which meets the UK bass legend’s requirements for absolute fidelity and clarity, precision tone shaping and masses of power on tap for stunning dynamics. The result is the AL-MK500, a 575 Watts RMS funk powerhouse with low impedance instrument input, illuminated VU meter, Harmonic Emphasis, 12-band graphic EQ, switchable pre and post EQ balanced DI output, tuner output with mute switch, line output, effects loop and speaker outputs on jack and Speakon connectors. "This amp takes my sound to a whole new level" reports a delighted Mr King. "It's so dynamic, so alive!"

MK500 Specifications

Power Output     575W
Line Input     Impedance 3.9M Ohms, Input range 150mV to 20V P-P
Line Output     Impedance 1K Ohms, Level 0dBu Nominal
DI Output     600 Ohms balanced / Level -20dBu nominal
Tuner Output     Impedance 22k Ohms / Level 0dBu nominal
Output Impedance     4 Ohms
EQ       +/– 15dB @ 12 Centre Frequencies
Effects Send     Impedance 22k Ohms / Level 0dBu nominal
Effects Return     Impedance 10K Ohms / Level 0dBu Nominal
H x W x D (mm)     195 x 525 x 325
Weight (kg)     14

• Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 16:45, Woodinblack said:

Its almost certainly the same power stage as an ABM, so a class AB. I don't think I have ever seen anything written down but I would be very surprised if it wasn't just their normal (at the time) ABM500 with a full graphic on the front and voicing as selected by Mark King.

To add to this, a quote from the manual:

"The MK500 bass amplifier uses a brand new Ashdown pre-amp featuring a 12 band graphic equaliser for

the most versatile tone shaping available and Harmonic Emphasis to provide the ultimate in HiFi for Bass."

• Jave changed the title to SOLD - Ashdown Labs MK500 Mark King Signature Bass Head - £375