Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic - Brittle broken knobs / buttons RH450 / 750

Adee

Anyone else have  / had an issue with the knobs breaking on their RH450 / 750 Amp? The plastic used in manufacture at the time, maybe still? becomes brittle 

and easily breaks after some time. TC used to replace the knobs and buttons but now they seem to have shirked that responsibility, so you are left with trying to

source them yourself or replace them with another type. I remember Hercules had an issue with their plastic becoming sticky on their stands and even now they 

will still (with a bit of pushing) replace the part for free. Shame on you TC very poor of them !!

BTW If anyone has 2 or three spare knob drop me a message please

Edited by Adee

• Adee changed the title to TC Electronic - Brittle broken knobs / buttons RH450 / 750

Common problem. I think TC slowed up replacing them when they sold out to Music Tribe.

I do have these knocking around if you're close to MK. I'm in the middle of a house move so can't be bothered to head to a post office at the moment! 

20220715_121619.thumb.jpg.923f9ab372b2c1e00ed18c3b2f33777b.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, one of mine broke / fell off, I just ordered a load more as they were pretty cheap, before I found out they would send the replacements free!

Unfortunately they were in a box of things that my pigeons knocked over the other day while fighting and I haven't had a chance to dig them out yet. I know, first world problems!!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 13/09/2022 at 09:00, Adee said:

Still searching, I did very kindly get three off @Woodinblack but the volume and a couple more have now given up the ghost

despite getting in contact with a nice fella at TC ... he and his colleagues couldnt help due to the Music Tribe thing ... ridiculous !!

Did you ever figure this out? I've got the same issue now

Same problem here. I need a full set of replacement knobs and a couple of encoders (broken shafts following a rather short fall..).

Music Tribe are completely useless. After a long wait they eventually sent me the names of 2 ‘authorised’ repairers who can source the parts.

One said they didn’t work with MT so couldn’t help and the other (Ampman Audio) has been very helpful but the process is so slow. Not their fault as they have to get the spare parts from MT…

Why on earth MT can’t just send the parts directly to me I don’t understand.

So far it’s taken me 6 months. I paid the invoice for the spares on 28th February and am still waiting for Ampman to get the parts in.

Totally ridiculous scenario for such a simple fix.

2 hours ago, Captain Bassman said:

(Ampman Audio) has been very helpful but the process is so slow. Not their fault as they have to get the spare parts from MT…

Why on earth MT can’t just send the parts directly to me I don’t understand.

So far it’s taken me 6 months. I paid the invoice for the spares on 28th February and am still waiting for Ampman to get the parts in.

Totally ridiculous scenario for such a simple fix.

Exactly the same scenario for me, contacted Ampman and was given a quote for about £60 to get the knobs, sooooooo I politely declined their kind offer

The very helpful fella from TC and his colleagues in Denmark even drew a blank which was amazing

8 minutes ago, Killerfridge said:

TC told me that I needed to send them the amp for a full "service" in order to replace the knobs. I've instead started replacing them with completely different ones that fit the same stem for pennies! I just need to replace the snapped stems now...

Its a pain, they used to be really easy to replace just contacting TC.

For the shaft you can either replace the pot, which I would imagine isn't an unusual one, or just get some plastic shaft material, try and match the end and glue a new one on. Or like some I have seen, put a screw through it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

Its a pain, they used to be really easy to replace just contacting TC.

For the shaft you can either replace the pot, which I would imagine isn't an unusual one, or just get some plastic shaft material, try and match the end and glue a new one on. Or like some I have seen, put a screw through it!

I'm going down the glue route; I've got the replacement shafts, I just need to find 10 minutes to get around to doing it! I actually really like the "new" look from the white faced replacement knobs, and they feel a lot sturdier too!PXL_20230418_093457927.thumb.jpg.d8028be27111b70d551483f8b277b9c6.jpg

11 hours ago, Killerfridge said:

TC told me that I needed to send them the amp for a full "service" in order to replace the knobs. I've instead started replacing them with completely different ones that fit the same stem for pennies! I just need to replace the snapped stems now...

Mind telling me which aftermarket knobs you got?

On 21/04/2023 at 13:36, ReeV0 said:

These just arrived and don't fit 😭 Too small

EDIT: They do fit! Just had to push them on really hard 

Yes I should probably have mentioned, because they are interference fit, you really need to shove them on!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

I feel that the knob issue is a stunning failure of design elements by TCE. An owner should NOT have to go through these trials with what amounts to a new amplifier.

Couldn't agree more. The amp is such a great bit of kit, it's such a shame they cheaped out on such a fundamental part of it

• Like 1