Why become a member? ×

Complete newbie here...

Rich44

Hi everyone. Im very very new to bass as Im starting today :)! Have just got a Black Yamaha RBX170 but unfortuantely the amp I've ordered (a cheap Behringer BT108) hasn't come yet so I'll have to go without for another week, Is it OK start practising without an amp? Ohwell. Been wanting to learn bass for a while now but have never got round to it until now.

Hi Rich

Welcome to the fold. You can of course practice without an amp, I did for ages. Get a couple of good tutor books and learn some scales, and a tuner (unless you have a good ear and a piano). Learning some theory will also serve you well in future, as will learning to read music.

Best of luck, if you need help with anything, post your queries here, there are always people on here who will be happy to help.

Steve

Welcome Rich, playing without amplification may help rather than hinder at the start. If you go the book route, think carefully before letting yourself see tabs. My best advice is to stick to theory and notation and get jamming as soon as possible once you're comfy over the strings.

Check out Davemarks's [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1293"]Youtube lessons for beginners[/url].

and

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=481"]Useful Links[/url].

And Basschat in general.

paul.

Hello Rich,congrats on taking up the bass.
Get a decent tutor book,a tuner,and a quiet place to practice.If you want a bit more volume before your amp arrives,try playing with the head of the bass touching a door.The vibrations from the bass will transfer to the door and be clearly heard.
The best bass lesson I ever got was this;it aint what notes you play,its the ones that you leave out that are the most important.
Happy playing!

Thanks for the response, Ive got all the accessories (just the book and the amp to arrive yet, next week some time). The only thing I havent got is any picks. Totally confused as to what thickness/shape is best for bass guitars so some advice would be good. Thanks.

Hello! I prefer to practice w/o a amp because it's just easier not to be confined to a room and a cord, but be aware that it might be a struggle to hear yourself and you might make more mistakes that way that go unnoticed. Plus, playing with an amp can be easier on your fingers because you don't have to press down so hard to hear yourself w/o the amp.

[quote name='lee4' post='49159' date='Aug 22 2007, 08:00 PM']Hello Rich,congrats on taking up the bass.
Get a decent tutor book,a tuner,and a quiet place to practice.If you want a bit more volume before your amp arrives,try playing with the head of the bass touching a door.The vibrations from the bass will transfer to the door and be clearly heard.
The best bass lesson I ever got was this;it aint what notes you play,its the ones that you leave out that are the most important.
Happy playing![/quote]
To further misquote Jamerson - the funk is in the fingers.

Unless you are switching from guitar and a pick comes naturally - use your fingers.

And welcome.

[quote name='Rich44' post='49192' date='Aug 22 2007, 09:29 PM']Thanks for the response, Ive got all the accessories (just the book and the amp to arrive yet, next week some time). The only thing I havent got is any picks. Totally confused as to what thickness/shape is best for bass guitars so some advice would be good. Thanks.[/quote]

Well personally i think you have to just try a few and see what you prefer, my preference are [url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=8&pmh=products/picks"]THESE[/url], i use the orange ones, i find they work best for me.

Another question, sorry but don't want to post a new topic as its so embarressing. I just can't get the guitar strap to work, it seem miles too short and ends up like a guitar necklace. One end has a loop of string through one of the holes, am I supposed to do something with this?

Hi Rich - welcome aboard :-)

The string is there in case you want to use it with an acoustic guitar (they often don't have 2 strap buttons).
There should be a way of adjusting the length of the strap to get it to a reasonable position... if not then you have to start learning some Mark King lines.

Welcome to the mad house!

I started with a black RBX...... bless its cotton socks..... its now owned by a very nice young lady in Ireland!

My advice as someone who only started 18months ago, is do a little bit VERY often to start.... 2 or 3 15-20 min sessions a day is much better than 1 1hr session. your fingers learn muscle memory much quicker.....

Hal Leonard books are excellent and then find yourself a tutor to play with and bounce ideas off and explain things!

[i]'play that sucker!'[/i]