Why become a member? ×

Steve Lawson has cancer.

fretmeister

This from Steve's own Farcebook page:

"Hey all, wassup?
News from here is a bit of a curveball. You might have seen from Insta earlier in the week that I was admitted to hospital.
Turns out I've got cancer. Probably lymphoma. Had a biopsy yesterday to find out more, getting results early next week.
All in I'm feeling pretty good today, pain is managed and I was able to eat a lot of stuff today. I'm in an excellent hospital with absolutely brilliant staff whose capacity to care is extraordinary. Doctors are being fabulous and I'm getting to see Lo and Flapjack often.
Obviously I've canceled every bit of work I have coming up. PhD will be suspended for a while, gigs canceled, private students postponed indefinitely. I could be back able to teach in a couple of months. I'm hoping I can be back at BIMM for the start of the new term in October. But right now I don't know enough to predict any of that.
If you want to help out with material stuff, the easiest way is to subscribe to me on Bandcamp or just buy some music. There's no gofundme cos I don't have medical bills, just lost income and this part of my job - selling beautiful music for curious people - is still very much functional. So, that's the best course if you want to help in that way. The subscriber community is also where I'll be posting the most regular updates - feels a little more self-selecting for "care" than the slight chaoticness of FB.
Head to https://stevelawson.bandcamp.com/subscribe - there'll no doubt be a ton of new music inspired by this journey x
I'm not going to promise I'll be fine. None of us can ever say that with any surity. But I'm in a good place. Happy and mostly comfortable"

Remarkable positivity, but then I think he's that kinda guy.

• Like 5

Yep - he's a great guy and a stellar player.

I took out a subscription on hearing the news- I think every little bit helps. And I now have access to all of his hundred-odd albums of improvised bass music!

Whether solo improvised bass is something you might normally  listen to or not, it's hard to hear a Steve piece and not just go "wow".

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Steve's latest Farcebook post:

"I got my mid point chemo CT scan results back and my tumour has shrunk by approx 80%. In the words of my brilliant consultant, it's the absolute best news we could imagine right now. So yeah, we're celebrating.

I'll write more about what the scan means longer term soon, but right now it's making me very happy."

Great news on this solemn day.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2