Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Herewith my entry to the July comp.

Didn't have  lot of time due to work, a weekend musical festival and a holiday all in, but just about managed it!

Blurb:

The picture evoked care-free playtime between parent and child (with my parents and also myself with my kids when they were younger), so the lyrics are from there. The music came from a quick mess-around with some jangly C86 ideas.

Technical notes:

Drums: library beats from MT Power Kit plus live tambourine. Bass - vantage avenger. Guitar: Squier Tele though Fender amp sims, Keys are Studio one Farfisa, Vox though a cheapo condensor.

Lyrics in spoiler:

Spoiler

Remember those sunny days
Home from work and time for play
Lets go down to the park
get home before it's dark

Hold me high - push me up into the sky
Swing me round - high up from the ground

In the winter in the snow
push the sledge and let us go
rushing down without a care
through the clean and frosty air

Making the holiday plans
barges and caravans
sandcastles by the sea
float along the broads so free

• Like 4

Blurb: I took a literal approach. The Hippo, nature's most untrustworthy beast.

Technical stuff: Drums are Yamaha birch with an oak snare via Thomann mics into a Behringer Pre. Basses are a L2K, guitars are a Tokai 335 and a Bacchus Strat, all into an Avid Eleven. Vocals through an SE condenser into the Eleven, also, and it was all smoooshed together in ProTools.

• Like 3

Here comes another straggler staggering over the finishing line with hours to spare 😁

BLURB

A lolloping, lazy saunter with a vaguely hip(po) hop groove. Mucking about at night is all well and good but, c'mon, the blazing sun is on its way; let's get ourselves in the refreshing water.

It's been a few months since I did any lyrics and this is the best I could come up with. They're straight out of the 'June-moon-spoon' rhyming book for beginners. I apologise once again for inflicting my usual flat timbre upon you good people.

Same old, same old with the recording gubbins - Westfield violin bass, Epiphone guitar, Yamaha keyboard, drum samples from Looperman, Vivlex echo pedal, Apogee Mic+ condenser mic, Roland cube amp, M Audio Fast Track Pro Interface. Recorded with Audacity and Wavepad. One day I'll try a different DAW but I'm struggling to find the time to get my head around the intricacies of the things.

• Like 2

On 17/07/2022 at 15:24, lurksalot said:

OK then, I have enlisted the help and vocal skills of Fat Harry White , the Hippo of Luuurve , and he is on form let me tell you :lol:

How lovely to hear the dulcet tones of Fat Harry again! I did hear that he wanted his very sexy lady friend foxy Fiona to play his 35" Lakland bass on the track but it would appear that Fiona is having trouble coping with Harry's extra long instrument. Hmmmmm, baby!

Edited by upside downer
  • Haha 1