Why become a member? ×

Neutrik Locking Jack Replacement

andyonbass

I'm assuming this is one of the standard ones with the d-sized rectangular casing?  (like this )

If so then what you need is a d-sized blanking plate, THESE would do the trick (i just did a quick google i'm sure they could be found elsewhere)  then just cut a suitable hole to fit a regular jack socket in the centre of it.

Matt

• Like 1

Far easier option.

Undo it and slide the black plastic part out of the housing.

You'll see a little screw. Undo that. Then slide the Red plastic thing out of the way. That will show you a spring underneath it.

Remove the spring. 

Then put the red bit back, put the screw back and stick it back together.

Ta-DA!

Now it's just a regular jack socket without any locking nonsense.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Matt P said:

I'm assuming this is one of the standard ones with the d-sized rectangular casing?  (like this )

If so then what you need is a d-sized blanking plate, THESE would do the trick (i just did a quick google i'm sure they could be found elsewhere)  then just cut a suitable hole to fit a regular jack socket in the centre of it.

Matt

Now why couldn't I find that on google!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Undo it and slide the black plastic part out of the housing.

You'll see a little screw. Undo that. Then slide the Red plastic thing out of the way. That will show you a spring underneath it.

Remove the spring. 

Then put the red bit back, put the screw back and stick it back together.

Ta-DA!

Now it's just a regular jack socket without any locking nonsense.

Thanks! Another option! 👍

Just now, andyonbass said:

Now why couldn't I find that on google!

I've searched for these before, i bought a rack case that someone had modded with a connector on the side and i wanted a cover to seal it back up.  I used a plastic one though as i didn't need it to be structural.

I'm also one of those obsessive techy people who can remember things like what this particular kind of connector cutout is called but couldn't tell you my home phone number without looking it up first.

Matt

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

It's dead easy - I've done it on mine. Takes 5 mins

Yep! Just done it 😋 I no longer feel like I'm gonna dislocate my thumb when I disconnect the wireless bug thingy! Thanks for you suggestion! 👍

• Like 1

On 10/06/2022 at 10:59, andyonbass said:

I can’t be the only one who doesn’t like the locking ones surely!

I detest them.  With the arthritis in my hands, the only way I can get them out is standing the bass upside down on its headstock and tackle it two-handed and police-style elbow headlock to stop the whole thing crashing onto the floor.  Not a good look when you are trying to change instruments in the middle of a gig.  Mind you, often gets more applause than my playing xD

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...

Reviving this thread - I was going to do the spring removal mod on my Ibanez EHB as I hate the locking sockets. As I'm wireless 95% of the time, all they are is an annoyance. However, when I extracted the socket from the bass, I found that the locking mechanism wasn't secured by a screw but some sort of rivet - not Torx, not hex, not crosshead. So, given that drilling the rivet out is by no means guaranteed to be a solution as I don't know if the innards could then be re-secured, I went in search of the D-type plates. It turns out that blanking plate, or possibly XLR blanking plate, is the optimum thing to search for - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324489814445 . So I just need a stereo jack socket (can't find one so that's another thing to order) and to drill a 10mm (I think) hole in the plate when it arrives.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...