Why become a member? ×

EBS bass amplifiers

nbaptista

I have a Roland 20 watts xl cube bass amp. I have the chance to buy an EBS 60 watts amp with a discount for 124€!The idea was to have the Roland in the living room and the EBS in another room.What can you tell me about EBS bass amps? A friend that works on music told me that he knew Ampeg and Fender amplifiers, but not EBS.Is it the EBS as good as the Roland?

EBS is good gear. Plenty of reviews, etc online - YouTube, etc. It does seem to be favoured by those who prefer a brighter sound. I had an EBS 350. It was powerful, reliable, well made and happy to drive a 2 ohm load. I sold it and bought an Aquilar because I found it a bit in yer face, no matter what I did with the eq and I prefer a more old school sound. If you like a more modern sound, they're excellent. Do try before buying, as always.

13 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

EBS  It does seem to be favoured by those who prefer a brighter sound. I had an EBS 350. It was powerful, reliable, well made and happy to drive a 2 ohm load. I sold it and bought an Aquilar because I found it a bit in yer face, no matter what I did with the eq and I prefer a more old school sound. If you like a more modern sound, they're excellent. Do try before buying, as always.

Yes, EBS is a bit bright, I’ve played once an EBS and is a bit forward and bright.

I have the 60 watt model, and do not find it “bright”. I’m guessing it doesn’t really sound like the big-donkey ones mentioned above. The EQ section is very clever, and can be used to dial a variety of sounds. I like it very much. It’s very solidly built and blooming heavy for its size. Buy with confidence I say.

3 hours ago, nbaptista said:

And between the EBS 30 watts vs the 60 watts? Anyone tried both? I guess the 60 watts is much better, or am I wrong?

Pretty much the same apart from the 60 watt one having a slightly larger speaker, slightly more powerful amp and a bit heavier. 

The EBS "bright sound" is largely down to using EBS Proline and Neoline cabs. They have a very prominent Selium tweeter that gives it that bright zingy top end that EBS have become known for. People don't seem to appreciate that there is a big knob on the back that enables you to turn that tweeter down/off.

Other than that, EBS is actually pretty natural in sound - in that they sound more like a PA then a traditional bass amp with a baked in sound. Some people like the baked in sound... other people like to shape their sounds on the filter. There is no reason why you can't make an EBS TD/HD sound more vintage by rolling off the tweeters and the top end of the pre.

The Classic range of amps are less EBS sounding than the rest of the range - you may prefer to go that route if a more old school sound is what you are looking at with minimal tone shaping.

But as above - try the amps out for yourself. 

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 2