Why become a member? ×

Live music venues in York...

warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='461616' date='Apr 13 2009, 10:54 PM']Off to York on Wednesday and Thursday, so can anyone recommend a pub that has live bands on in York centre?

As an aside I'll be looking for somewhere to stop off for a pub lunch on the way into York (from the North) so anywhere that does decent grub?[/quote]

We used to hang in Fibbers for live bands, although that was 15 years ago now (where does time fly? :)), but there's a place on the A19 just after you pass skipton, about 100m before you hit the york bypass on the right - can't remember the name though ;) something farm I think it's called. Nice place, nice food, decent prices. I always go there when I visit my dad, It's easier than cooking :rolleyes:

Edit:
Doh, you're looking for somewhere to break up the journey aren't you. Try the Blacksmiths Arms in Swainby (A19 again just before you reach Northallerton) Damn fine food there too :D

Edited by SteveO

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='461616' date='Apr 13 2009, 09:54 PM']Off to York on Wednesday and Thursday, so can anyone recommend a pub that has live bands on in York centre?[/quote]

Fibbers has got a BOTB on Wednesday, [url="http://www.myspace.com/andsoiwatchyoufromafar"]these guys[/url] on Thursday. There's nothing on at Speakeasy either Wednesday or Thursday. Er... Duchess has got [url="http://www.testtubebabies.co.uk/"]these[/url] on Thursday, nothing Wednesday. You could try the Roman Bath but it's usually straight-ahead rock in there.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='461616' date='Apr 13 2009, 09:54 PM']As an aside I'll be looking for somewhere to stop off for a pub lunch on the way into York (from the North) so anywhere that does decent grub?[/quote]

I don't know if there's anywhere particularly good for a pub lunch on the way into York, sadly. There are a few pubs that do good food inside the walls (Guy Fawkes, Old White Swan, Royal Oak - Guy Fawkes has the best ale of those three), but I'm not sure if they only do lunch on Sundays... Swan's probably the most likely, to be honest. It's on Goodramgate.

Actually yeah Fibbers do pub lunches.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='461616' date='Apr 13 2009, 09:54 PM']Off to York on Wednesday and Thursday, so can anyone recommend a pub that has live bands on in York centre?

As an aside I'll be looking for somewhere to stop off for a pub lunch on the way into York (from the North) so anywhere that does decent grub?[/quote]

My mates band play the Stone Roses bar, its on King Street. I think its a Thursday gig.

I've just had a quick look at the listings for the main places and to be honest, you'd be better off going to Ye olde Starre inne on the thursday night for the open mic acoustic night. Most of the people in the best (original) bands in york tend to shufty down there on a thursday night, so you'll see some fantastic, and drunk stuff! :)

Also worth a mention is the rather excellent city screen basement bar. Not the best layout for a venue, but incredibly intimate and they have some fantastic acts on there from out of town.

[quote name='bumfrog' post='462484' date='Apr 14 2009, 09:01 PM']I've just had a quick look at the listings for the main places and to be honest, you'd be better off going to Ye olde Starre inne on the thursday night for the open mic acoustic night. Most of the people in the best (original) bands in york tend to shufty down there on a thursday night, so you'll see some fantastic, and drunk stuff! :)[/quote]

Every time I'm in there it's that impossibly pretentious hairy boy from Idle Jack and his cronies. He brought a theremin along last time.

[quote name='bumfrog' post='462484' date='Apr 14 2009, 09:01 PM']Also worth a mention is the rather excellent city screen basement bar. Not the best layout for a venue, but incredibly intimate and they have some fantastic acts on there from out of town.[/quote]

Yeah City Screen's often got good stuff on.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='462527' date='Apr 14 2009, 09:52 PM']Every time I'm in there it's that impossibly pretentious hairy boy from Idle Jack and his cronies. He brought a theremin along last time.[/quote]

Well rob the singer from Idle Jack runs the night, so he will be there, but there's usually quite a few good acts on. I was just pointing out for warwickhunt on the offchance he fancied something a bit different. There's also a good one at Dusk on a sunday night too, which was responsible for my monster hangover on monday... grrr :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='462527' date='Apr 14 2009, 09:52 PM']Yeah City Screen's often got good stuff on.[/quote]

Heads up for 30th April - James Apollo [url="http://www.myspace.com/jamesapollo"]http://www.myspace.com/jamesapollo[/url] for an ultra fine slice of Americana if that so takes anybodies fancy.