Why become a member? ×

Zon Sonus Custom fretless 4 SOLD

Brother Jones

I'm selling this alongside my Sadowsky 5 to raise cash for an engagement ring. I bought it two and a half years ago from a slightly mysterious Frenchman in north London. I seem to remember paying a stack of money for it because I was blown away by it. But I have to face up to the fact that, although I am genuinely quite emotionally attached to this bass, I'm not one of life's better fretless players...

Bolt-on graphite neck on what I think is a swamp ash body. While the bass looks black most of the time, the finish is a kind of very dark stain so that you can see the grain underneath. I doubt this has come out well in the photos, but looks fantastic. It is pretty much mint, no dints and no issues at all.

Twin Barts with Zon's custom pre option - vol, pan, stacked treble and bass, and a semi-parametric mid with a three-position frequency selecter. The bridge is a Wilkinson.

Neck profile is very slim and the bass itself is very light. Phenolic board with very hard wearing finish. It has stacks of mwah and, probably because of the board, is one of those fretlesses that you really can slap. I've used DR rounds on it since having it and there is not a scratch on the board. Like all Zons, it is phenomenally playable. The action is without doubt the lowest I've ever played. Set up and full service (inc electronics) by Charlie Chandler two months ago.

It is tricky to price this. I've bought (and sold) a really good similar fretted Sonus for £1200 very recently. Despite their scarcity, given the economic circumstances am going to say a firm £1000 for this. No trades please.

I'm in Surrey and don't drive, but very happy to meet up in central London.

Edit: Bass now sold.

Thanks.

Edited by Brother Jones

I'm interested. Any better photos, Brother? Sides and back too? Does it have side dots and are they "on the fret"? What year? Is the bridge adjustable for string spacing? Why was the French geezer "mysterious"? How much DID you pay for it? PM me if you wish.

Cheers,
Nigel

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='462949' date='Apr 15 2009, 03:06 PM']I'm interested. Any better photos, Brother? Sides and back too? Does it have side dots and are they "on the fret"? What year? Is the bridge adjustable for string spacing? Why was the French geezer "mysterious"? How much DID you pay for it? PM me if you wish.

Cheers,
Nigel[/quote]

Same questions here! And one more did you defretted it?

[quote name='silddx' post='462949' date='Apr 15 2009, 01:06 PM']I'm interested. Any better photos, Brother? Sides and back too? Does it have side dots and are they "on the fret"? What year? Is the bridge adjustable for string spacing? Why was the French geezer "mysterious"? How much DID you pay for it? PM me if you wish.

Cheers,
Nigel[/quote]

I will try and take some more pics, but as you can tell am a crap snapper. There are no dints or scratches on it at all.

It has side dots between the fret positions. It's not a defret - the board is epoxied phenolic, as distinct from the 'phenowood' that Zon use for the regular fretted ones, and is absolutely pristine.

When I first bought it I emailed Zon with the s/n asking for a bit of history and received...no reply whatsoever.

The bridge is not adjustable for spacing.

The French geezer was actually a very, very nice man who happened to prefer his Alembic, the fool.

I think I paid £1400 for it....

Phew :)

[quote name='silddx' post='463378' date='Apr 15 2009, 08:45 PM']Thanks Bro' :)[/quote]

Brother Jones, I'm really sorry to have maybe got your hopes up of selling this to me, but I've decided I definitely want an unlined and with side dots on the fret, not between. I can't really afford to compromise for this sort of cash.

Sorry about that. I'll buy you a pint at the next SE Bash, if there is one.

Cheers, and good luck, hope you sell it quickly. Consider this a more complex type of bump.

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='463371' date='Apr 15 2009, 08:33 PM']When I first bought it I emailed Zon with the s/n asking for a bit of history and received...no reply whatsoever.[/quote]

You'll NEVER get a reply from Zon unless they think you're going to be spending money with them - I've never had a single reply to any question about my Legacy until I emailed them about the cost of some refurbishment work, then the reply came back like a f***ing rocket.....

Just to say irrelevant of the bass, Tim is a legend to deal with! Im the VERY happy owner of his old sadowsky and it was a pleasure doing the dirty deed (as it were). I went round his, got to play it for a good while (saw the Zon among his collection), had a good natter about basses (and cycling...), got a cup of tea... the service was excellent, as is the bass, as is Tim! A fully satisfied customer.

H

P.S. Let us all know how you end up popping the question! (...and the response!)