Why become a member? ×

Identify No Name J Bass

sarakisof

Hello everyone, found this one locally for little money. Would go for it for a future restoration project but as it is a bit far from my place and my studio is full of them,  i would like to make sure it worths the effort, not the money. 

Seller claims it is from 80s and that he doesn't know anything else about it. 

I know pics are crap but don't want to ask him for more pics (neckplate, back of tuners etc.) because if he starts searching about it he could probably change mind and raise price. 😆

But as he doesn't states something like Japan etc. i think neckplate has no writing. Just guessing.

I am into those old basses, owning many decent ones from that era. Trying to avoid crap ones. Did my research but couldn't find something. From my experience, it isn't one from the good old ones, those you should go. But you never know.

@Bassassin could maybe help :thank_you:.

Spots which may help: Control plate and knobs, bottom fretboard/number of frets, truss rod position / truss rod cover (removed).

According to those holes, It could be already cannibalized.

What do you think guys?

IMG_20220426_070642.jpg

IMG_20220426_070605.jpg

IMG_20220426_070500.jpg

Edited by sarakisof

Mid 70s Japanese-made, probably by Chushin Gakki, would originally have had a big chrome truss rod cover, most common in the UK branded Columbus but sold with a thousand other brands, best-known would be Maya. Looks like tuners & control knobs have been changed, would have been sold with chrome ashtray covers, but 99% of those went straight in the bin. I think the scratchplate's original but pretty sure control plate's not. It should have an MIJ-stamped neckplate, if it's not then probably that's been changed too.

columbusbasses.thumb.jpg.790a5ae9723f2ffebf33dc03d9c8606e.jpg

I've had one - OK but not great, pickups a bit weak, body is butcher-block with front & back veneers, as mentioned earlier the black oversprays cover the lamination edges. Depends how cheap it is - I'm not really across values of this sort of stuff these days but I'd think a good one would probably fetch £200-odd. If it's massively cheaper than that then it's maybe worth a punt if you can be bothered!

• Like 2

Heh, i see. It's about 150 bucks, will wait and if goes down to 100 or less i will go for it. As you understand, I'm not in a big will for it. 

I mean, i have found a lovely Cimar XR for that money a year ago, but it's in my brother's home (he picked it up) waiting for me.

@Bassassin, it will be a nice Cimar thread when i have it in my hands. I'm looking forward to discuss about it, will see what i mean when i will open the thread! Looks identical to yours in an old thread but -maybe- Super P4 or Schaller pickups, will discuss it further when time comes!

Peace and love to everyone 💜

1 hour ago, sarakisof said:

Αbout tuners, found this one with similar ones. 

https://reverb.com/item/25025209-1970s-columbus-bass-guitar-made-in-japan-roadworn-big-block-inlays

Anyway all roads lead to Ghushin Gakki.

Tuners might be standard - there was a Maya 'deluxe' version with the only obvious difference being 'proper' open-gear units.

mayacatalogue07r.thumb.jpg.4fe0bce3daccf59d6958ba318c9a9699.jpg

• Like 1