Why become a member? ×

Pre Amp / DI EFX chain

Joshua Sharp Bassist

Hi! I'm relatively new to using bass pedals and stuff! 

I'm looking to get a Pre Amp/ DI pedal because a lot of the gigs I have coming up are festivals and I have been told that I don't need an amp as everything will be done using IEM's and the PA.

Therefore I want to use a pre Amp/DI pedal to go into the mix directly, but with all my pedals. So I need the DI to send my wet signal, however, with the placement of the Pre amp very early in the signal chain it seems hard to do. 

I've seen pedals such as the Trickfish Trilobite which have an FX loop send and blend knob, but with that being close to £600 I was looking for a cheaper alternative, I've been looking at the aguilar tone hammer but I cannot seem to find a way to wire my pedalboard so that the DI tone is wet.

Sorry for the rambling I'm not sure how to articulate it better xD

Thank you

Josh 

57 minutes ago, Joshua Sharp Bassist said:

... I don't need an amp as everything will be done using IEM's and the PA...

It would be usual, in such a circumstance, for the venue to be equipped with DI boxes, into which you plug your output in exactly the same way as you'd plug into an amp. The FOH and your IEM's will receive the 'wet' signal, just as your amp would. Have you been informed differently..?
You could, just in case, use a DI of your own, if you acquire one (although many venues will prefer theirs, as being perfect for their rig...), into which you plug in the same way. You don't need/want any special pre-amp, just a DI to replace your amp. The signal it receives will be 'wet', being the output from your pedals.

The only exception to this would be if you have Fx plugged into your amp's Fx Send/Return loop. In that case, I'd suppose your amp to already have a DI output, so I'd take it, but not use a cab. Feed the console from the amp's DI.
Hope this helps. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353

23 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It would be usual, in such a circumstance, for the venue to be equipped with DI boxes, into which you plug your output in exactly the same way as you'd plug into an amp. The FOH and your IEM's will receive the 'wet' signal, just as your amp would. Have you been informed differently..?
You could, just in case, use a DI of your own, if you acquire one (although many venues will prefer theirs, as being perfect for their rig...), into which you plug in the same way. You don't need/want any special pre-amp, just a DI to replace your amp. The signal it receives will be 'wet', being the output from your pedals.

The only exception to this would be if you have Fx plugged into your amp's Fx Send/Return loop. In that case, I'd suppose your amp to already have a DI output, so I'd take it, but not use a cab. Feed the console from the amp's DI.
Hope this helps. :friends:

Thank you very much! I was just wondering to when I do my own stuff, but yes I think Ill just get a seperate DI box, would help with home recording too, thanks again!

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Joshua Sharp Bassist said:

...I think Ill just get a seperate DI box ...

Always useful, so Good Idea. Just be Aware, though, that there are Passive DI boxes (no power supply needed, inexpensive, robust, no bells and whistles...) and Active PI boxes (sometimes battery, but more often 'phantom' power supply from the console, or from an audio interface...). Modest price up to hellishly expensive; be sure that your recording equipment is able to power one of these (there'll be a 'phantom power' mention somewhere, sometimes labelled '48v'...). Have a look at the Thomann range, and ask again if in doubt. No need to go overboard; it's just a DI box. Here's a few that I know work well (they're my 'star ratings'...); there's plenty more...

Thomann DI...

Passive : Behringer Ultra-DI DI400P, £1830 + shipping *

Passive IMG Stageline DIB-102 £34 + shipping *** 

Active, battery or Phantom : Behringer DI20, £19.90 + shipping **

Active, battery or Phantom : Behringer GI100 ULTRA-G, £30 + shipping ***

The Sansamp Deluxe models are very good for your purposes. Fx loop is switchable in and out and programmable in and out as well.

There are two banks of three patches. This gives options for preselection of multiple fx as well as a preselected Sansamp Drive and Level and or eq tweak adjustment, all with single stomp.

It is vitally important that your final output level stays relatively consistent within your normal dynamic range. Don't be the the guy stomping all over the mix when you kick on a distortion. It's very easy to get wrong but takes a lot of tweaking to get right.

Edited by Downunderwonder

If it's just a DI box, the ones from Orchid electronics take a lot of beating for the price.

I've just got hold of an Origin effects bass rig, as an amp replacement. It has a built-in DI and cab simulator, so you'd run it at the end of your signal chain. It's not cheap, but it's very good.

Laney digbeth has an effects loop, also 4 band eq alongside clean, tube (distortion) and mixed output. However I gigged for years with a sansamp at the end of my chain. It basically acted as my amp sound. Never bothered too much with effects loops etc, it depends on the effect types you use and the sound you wanna get but even on guitar I just ran everything into the front of the amp. Each to their own of course but check out the digbeth!

35 minutes ago, itu said:

So you could buy 12 Countrymans (Type 85) for the price of one Behringer!

(The right price is £18.30)

Sorry, I'm in France, and UK prices always confuse me. :$

(No, of course you're right; silly me and my 'all thumbs' fingers. Thanks for the correction. :friends:)

• Thanks 1