Why become a member? ×

New NS EUB.

6stringbassist

Got it last week, and thanks to the school holidays I haven't stopped playing it since.
Initially I was awful and couldn't help thinking that I'd made a mistake in buying it. But after an hour or so, and when I started to use my mind as well as my fingers to play, it really wasn't that hard to get around on. I even used it with my one band for a couple of songs last Sunday afternoon.

I started off with the tripod stand, but I kind of felt detached from the instrument, I really didn't like it, so now I only use the endpin stand. I came up with the idea of lying it on its side on the stand while not playing it, it looks kind of odd but it's really stable and not going to fall over.

It has the magnetic pickups as well as the piezo, but I really only use the piezo. I have the pickup balance set full clockwise (piezo only), the balance between pizz and arco is set at '3 o'clock', the treble is turned off, and a bit of bass boost. The result is an almost perfect amplified double bass sound.

A sax player that I play with in a couple of bands is a conservative, he loves jazz from the 50's right through to the modern young guys like Robert Glasper, and Jeremy Pelt. But he likes the traditional instrumentation sound of double bass, but he was blown away by the sound of this.

I love it.

Well done with your CR4M. Great basses with a great sound of their own. Not sure if it sounds like a DB to my ears. I hear a bit of Rickenbacker in it. Very powerful output, I played mine on a stage in a marquee a while back and had the bass frequency turned up a bit too high. You could feel the stage move and that was just through an AI Contra.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='460534' date='Apr 12 2009, 01:10 PM']I came up with the idea of lying it on its side on the stand while not playing it, it looks kind of odd but it's really stable and not going to fall over.[/quote]

That's what I do as well, it works just fine. The only thing you have to watch is that over time the bolt that secures the bit that goes into your waist can work a bit loose, and you might find the weight of the instrument alters the angle of this part, so that when you pick it up everything feels different. It's worth keeping a spanner with the instrument for precisely this reason.

Jennifer

[quote name='lee650' post='464562' date='Apr 16 2009, 11:37 PM']Thats really gorgeous Kev!![/quote]

Agreed, congrats to you Kev.

[quote name='lee650' post='464562' date='Apr 16 2009, 11:37 PM']Starting to regret selling my WAV now i miss it, oh well ill have to get a CRM5 in the future - enjoy[/quote]

But Lee I'm very grateful that you sold it to me!!

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='466493' date='Apr 19 2009, 02:06 AM']Agreed, congrats to you Kev.

But Lee I'm very grateful that you sold it to me!![/quote]

And a more deserving chap, i couldnt have gone too :) really glad your giving it the use i didnt - cheers - lee

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='464563' date='Apr 16 2009, 11:39 PM']Thanks Lee !.

Have you got your HD350 yet ?.[/quote]

Hi Kev
Yeah ive got it now, its been well used but sounds fantastic, i love it , it will stay with me till ive the cash for an epifani ul502 (which will prob be about 20 years :) ) not used it in anger yet, but its going to be very busy over the next three months, a bit strange not having a valve in the preamp!, but the sound isnt that far off the td650 i used to have :rolleyes:

Edited by lee650

[quote name='steve-soar' post='470158' date='Apr 22 2009, 10:55 PM']Kev, have you ever played EUB's or double bass before?
I had a try of a DB once, as a very young person at Mable Fletcher Music School, 1986, I think and it frightened the bejeezus out of me.
My wife wants me to get the real thing and not a EUB....PLEASE HAVE A WORD WITH HER. :)[/quote]

Hi Steve

I hired a DB for a month last year, but I really couldn't and didn't play it much at all.

The EUB is totally different though, so much easier to play. And it does sound like a DB that's amplified.

There's a left handed Mo Clifton one for sale at the Gallery :rolleyes: .