Why become a member? ×

Something for the Level 42 fans.

ambient

Phil Gould, their drummer shared this earlier on Twitter.

Whist I’m not a fan of their later more pop orientated material, I do like their early stuff. It reminds me a lot of Return to forever, not just the music either, the playing is amazing, especially if you consider how young they were.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for posting this.  Absolutely brilliant.  Like you, @ambient, I'm not such a big fan of the 'Something About You' and Running In The Family' stuff but this early period they were just the mutts.  And also more recently, post 'Sirens' I would say they have gone back to these jazz/funk roots.  The current drummer, Pete Ray Biggin, is a force of nature.  Great stuff :) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rich said:

I recall reading a Neil Peart interview many years ago in which he said that Phil Gould was one of his favourite drummers. 

Modern Drummer - 1989

"A good drummer that I like who plays simply is Phil Gould, who used to be with Level 42. He plays very simple, R&B-influenced drumming, but when he pulls a fill out it'll be a beautiful fill. And his feel is great. If you try to tap along with their downbeat-on-the-3 type of songs, you'll just about break your hand trying to come down behind the beat as much as he does. He has that feel down so well. It's very satisfying for me to listen to from a drummer's point of view or from a music fan's point of view. It feels great, has tremendous authority, and has the spice of a great little fill leaping out of it."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Thank you for posting this.  Absolutely brilliant.  Like you, @ambient, I'm not such a big fan of the 'Something About You' and Running In The Family' stuff but this early period they were just the mutts.  And also more recently, post 'Sirens' I would say they have gone back to these jazz/funk roots.  The current drummer, Pete Ray Biggin, is a force of nature.  Great stuff :) 

No problem.

Thanks, I need to check them out, I haven’t listened to any of their recent music.