Why become a member? ×

Chunk Systems Agent 00 Funk Mark II

Gunsfreddy2003

Looking at trying a new envelope filter on my board and so far the Chunk Systems Agent 00 Funk sounds the best by far on the net and probably the only one that I would consider replacing my EBS Bass IQ for.

Has anyone bought one of these or demo'd one?

Some feedback on the Mark I would also be welcome.

Cheers guys

Mark

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='459801' date='Apr 11 2009, 08:42 AM']Looking at trying a new envelope filter on my board and so far the Chunk Systems Agent 00 Funk sounds the best by far on the net and probably the only one that I would consider replacing my EBS Bass IQ for.

Has anyone bought one of these or demo'd one?

Some feedback on the Mark I would also be welcome.

Cheers guys

Mark[/quote]

Yes I had one (Mark I) - it's now with a guitarist I know. It seems to work even better on guitar. Changed it for the IQ. The IQ just seems to be easier to tweak to get the sounds. I found with the Agent 00 Funk, you could get some great sounds but the slightest movement of the knobs would mess things up completely!

Its a big box also... and you'll be hard pushed to beat the IQ for bass.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='459934' date='Apr 11 2009, 02:10 PM']I haven't tried one, the only complaint I've heard is that the knobs are a bit sensitive.[/quote]

Yeah! But nowhere near as bad as the frostwave funk a duck!! (+ the annoyance of it being AC!)

Thanks Russ,

The demo sounds on the Chunk Systems website sound fantastic but that is for the Mark II which I think has an extra Squelch control! To be fair I cannot get anything similar to this from my Bass IQ.

Perhaps I am not setting up the dials correctly?

Have you adjusted the internal trim pots on yours? I know a lot of people have done this but it never really appealed to me.

Would just like to get this kind of sound but without the expense of buying yet another pedal!!!

Cheers

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='459917' date='Apr 11 2009, 01:32 PM']Yes I had one (Mark I) - it's now with a guitarist I know. It seems to work even better on guitar. Changed it for the IQ. The IQ just seems to be easier to tweak to get the sounds. I found with the Agent 00 Funk, you could get some great sounds but the slightest movement of the knobs would mess things up completely!

Its a big box also... and you'll be hard pushed to beat the IQ for bass.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='460372' date='Apr 12 2009, 09:48 AM']Thanks Russ,

The demo sounds on the Chunk Systems website sound fantastic but that is for the Mark II which I think has an extra Squelch control! To be fair I cannot get anything similar to this from my Bass IQ.

Perhaps I am not setting up the dials correctly?

Have you adjusted the internal trim pots on yours? I know a lot of people have done this but it never really appealed to me.

Would just like to get this kind of sound but without the expense of buying yet another pedal!!!

Cheers[/quote]

The trim pots are the secret to this pedal!!

Start with the left pot at 3 oclock, the right pot at 9 oclock and the switch in the fully up position. Then with the back of the pedal off, alter the trim pots to taste. You'll find a sweet spot where the pedal suddenly starts quacking like mad.

Cool - going to try this out later today.

Bernie told me it was best not to f*** around with them!!

Can it get near to the Agent 00 Funk sound?

Where do you have the control knobs on the front set at for a similar sound?

Mark

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='460374' date='Apr 12 2009, 09:50 AM']The trim pots are the secret to this pedal!!

Start with the left pot at 3 oclock, the right pot at 9 oclock and the switch in the fully up position. Then with the back of the pedal off, alter the trim pots to taste. You'll find a sweet spot where the pedal suddenly starts quacking like mad.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='460379' date='Apr 12 2009, 09:58 AM']Cool - going to try this out later today.

Bernie told me it was best not to f*** around with them!!

Can it get near to the Agent 00 Funk sound?

Where do you have the control knobs on the front set at for a similar sound?

Mark[/quote]

Which Agent 00 Funk sound? Start with front pots where I said and tweak from there. YOu will find the greatest change in the response of the IQ by boosting your GBs mid pot... Its more what you put into the pedal than the pedal yourself... and with the amount of boost on your GB, you can coax more out than any other bass.

This sound!

[url="http://www.chunksystems.com/sounds/superfreak.mp3"]http://www.chunksystems.com/sounds/superfreak.mp3[/url]

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='460398' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:19 AM']Which Agent 00 Funk sound? Start with front pots where I said and tweak from there. YOu will find the greatest change in the response of the IQ by boosting your GBs mid pot... Its more what you put into the pedal than the pedal yourself... and with the amount of boost on your GB, you can coax more out than any other bass.[/quote]

Personally I didn't get on with the EBS IQ. Couldn't get it to quack enough for my taste and no amount of trim pot tweaking seemed to help. I ditched it for a Q-Tron. I've heard quite a few samples of the Agent 00 Funk and it sounds awesome. Dunno about the sensitivity of the knobs though.

We must be like exact opposites as I started out with Q-Tron after reading that it was the exact same innards as the Mu-Tron III but just could not get the sound that I was looking for out of it and opted for the Bass IQ which has been a lot better. However I do tend to think that no matter what I do to the Bass IQ it ain't gonna sound like the Agent 00 Funk!!

Might just have to bite the bullet and see what the Mark II has to offer.

By all accounts the Mark I was not that special.

[quote name='burno70' post='461710' date='Apr 13 2009, 11:24 PM']Personally I didn't get on with the EBS IQ. Couldn't get it to quack enough for my taste and no amount of trim pot tweaking seemed to help. I ditched it for a Q-Tron. I've heard quite a few samples of the Agent 00 Funk and it sounds awesome. Dunno about the sensitivity of the knobs though.[/quote]

OK, I've been playing with the Mark 1 and the EBS IQ. They get loads of good sound but they can't quite get the raspy quack thing that is going on with that clip that you sent. It almost sounds quite distorted on the highs - I found that my Lakland with the EBS pre in it kind of got closer with that rasp but still no cigar. Tweaking the amp didn't really have an effect as by that point, all the envelope filtering has been done and there is not great enough influence on the sound.

So there you go. The IQ seems to be a lot smoother but not able to nail that sound that you posted.

My advice? If you want that, get the Mark 2.

I still prefer the IQ though - I'm not a fan of that rasp... I'm more into the pops!

I thought it was really great. Once you get to grips with everything the knobs do and how they interact each other, it's easy to set it how you like it pretty quickly.

It's amazing with a Brown Dog in the 'Envelope' input too. Or any fuzz for that matter, but you need to use a Y cable if it's not a brown dog.

I find that running my 442 filter into the VT Bass gives a little of that smooth distortion to the highs and the filter peaks that you're looking for. It also acts to compress the signal slightly which is good to stop your speakers from blowing up! Try running your filter into a mild overdrive with the gain all the way down, or a dirty boost pedal, Sansamp/POD, tube pre, or just turn up the gain on your amp.

Edited by dannybuoy