Why become a member? ×

The count in

Nail Soup

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Never let your singer count you in.  

Interestingly, never let the singer decide when a song should end, either.  We'd delight, while the singer held an arm up like Elvis, in deciding when to stop during a long ending.  Sometimes we'd just stop, other times he'd throw his fist to the floor and we'd be letting the ending carry on.

Oh, the hilarity.

We did that many years ago. This guy who is sadly no longer with us was in the audience and we always finished with Allright now. He asked if he could sing it. We agreed and when it came to the end we just kept playing the chorus over and over. He was singing Allright now over and over and over. We were wetting ourselves because he kept singing and looking at us waiting for his cue to stop.

I went to a gig with my mate... he was playing drums in one of the bands. 

I was a bit 'synaptically enhanced' that evening and was convinced that he counted in one of the songs (their set was all 4/4) with 5 clicks of the sticks.

I questioned him about it later... he denied it and kind of laughed it off.

Afterwards I came to the realisation that he couldn't have done it anyway as the rest of the band would have come in after four anyway 😕!

On 24/03/2022 at 16:48, SumOne said:

However it's done I wouldn't mind a voval count in sometimes.

4 beat drum roll, then 1 beat cymbol/rest with bassline starting on the 2nd beat? Again, I'm not really sure but have just memorised how it sounds.

If you're coming in on the 2nd beat, then you're half a beat too late:

image.png.658fce3a1e2a475b3e4287cb04c3140b.png

• Like 1