Why become a member? ×

Additional Precision Pickup Placement

ezbass

OK BCers a litle help please. I'm going to be adding another p/up to my '50s roadworn. I love the sound of a P bass but sometimes want a little more "bridgeness" in the tone. I've tried P/Js and P/MMs but definitely want a P/P config. The question is about placement and orientation of the new p/up (a Seymour Duncan SPB1). The options are, and I apologise for the poor photoshopping,

1 2 3

Im interested in peoples opions on the aesthetics and potential tone. Leaving it as is isn't an option as it was bought for this very reason (no way am I cutting into my '63!).

Middle picture, but swap it around to E-A is closer to the bridge, but there's still an ~inch between both sets of D-G pups would be my choice. Too close and you wouldn't get much sound variation.

Although, if I was going to route it, I'd whip out the other P-pup and put soapbars in.

I'd have thought that the middle one would work best to give you more of that 'bridginess'.
I don't like the look of #3, it'll look like a smiley when you're playing, although of course if you move the knobs you might be able to turn it into a bass cleff :brow:

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='459401' date='Apr 10 2009, 04:15 PM']Yep middle one for distance,(i.e. not cutting into the scratchplate) but with the halves reversed as per no. 3[/quote]

+1

then stick a dimarzio model one in the neck position the you'd have pretty much my ideal bass :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='459382' date='Apr 10 2009, 03:32 PM']Although, if I was going to route it, I'd whip out the other P-pup and put soapbars in.[/quote]

That would definitely make the routing easier, but it's gotta be Ps for me.

[quote name='Buzz' post='459382' date='Apr 10 2009, 03:32 PM']Middle picture, but swap it around to E-A is closer to the bridge, but there's still an ~inch between both sets of D-G pups would be my choice. Too close and you wouldn't get much sound variation.

Although, if I was going to route it, I'd whip out the other P-pup and put soapbars in.[/quote]

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='459401' date='Apr 10 2009, 04:15 PM']Yep middle one for distance,(i.e. not cutting into the scratchplate) but with the halves reversed as per no. 3[/quote]

^ what they said