Why become a member? ×

Tapewound Strings

Rayman

So after completing the restoration of my fabulous Sunn Mustang, I picked D'Addario tapewound strings for it, and man, they are utterly awesome. I love the feel and tone, and together with the bass, non of my other gear is getting a look in, I can't put it down. 

I mostly play fingerstyle, but I used to be a pick player back in the day. So I've started using pick again for some stuff, SO good palm muted for funk....

My question is, has anyone had experience of picking tapes, and do they break up quickly? If so I might put flats on instead.

• Like 1

I had a set of black tapewounds donkeys years ago, possibly Rotosounds (back then there didn't seem to be many alternatives).  I eventually unwound the tape and to my delight, revealed rounds underneath.  These sounded infinitely better and for that reason, I've stuck with rounds ever since.

• Like 1

I had a set of Fender tapes that got used across a few different basses for years. They sound fantastic on a P bass. From a little vigorous pick playing I did slightly scuff one of the strings. Absolutely nothing to worry about though, those strings were still going strong on my Jack Casady until recently.

• Like 1

Do Rotosound Nexus strings count? I've had a set on my black precision for a year now. Used them last night in fact. One string shows a tiny amount of wear otherwise the coating is fine. I use a mix of fingerstyle/pic about 90/10 in favour of fingerstyle.

I find them so much kinder on the hands compared with other rounds. They don't tarnish, they sound and look great.

Oh and I just checked to see when I bought them and noticed they're on offer on Amazon for 20 quid so I'm going to get me some more.

• Like 1

That all sounds good then..... my days of clanking the strings like JJ Burnel are over,  so it seems they'll be fine. I love the feel and tone, even smoother than TI flats, but still with enough brightness to cut through. 

My mate in the record shop downstairs said it sounded fantastic through the ceiling. 

• Like 3