Why become a member? ×

Recommend an amp for my Wharfedale 1x15 cab?

missis sumner

Hello, long time no speak...

I've just joined another new band.  Our practice room isn't in a particularly safe neighbourhood, and we are stuck for space in the one secure storage cupboard.  I've been carrying my Fender Rumble 500 combo to and from practice.  It's a little cumbersome, so I've been thinking of taking my cheapo Wharfedale 1x15 cab in and leaving it there - problem is I don't have an amp for it as I usually use it as an extension cab for the Fender.

Could you recommend me a cheap, small, simple to use amp head, that I could carry with me easily?  I'm pretty clueless with matching amp power and cab capabilities, but the Wharfedale is marked max input = 300W @ 8 Ohm.

Would the TC Electronic BAM200 be too weedy to run the Wharfedale?  I'm assuming it's 200W @ 4 Ohm?

Just so you have an idea of the volumes we practice at, I only run the Fender 500 at about 25% gain and master during practice.  I am tempted to try my 40W Fender Rumble on Saturday! lol

TIA

Just did a search for the RM500... and saw the price...

But this came up in the same search - 

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/TC-Electronic-Thrust-BQ500-Bass-Head/2M3F?origin=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQjw29CRBhCUARIsAOboZbIexyqFGTjePPtCmyPC_b60hz1wyQA6cxLLi-x0xYMnCOc1wJw63IQaAmZKEALw_wcB

I am only looking for something to use in the practice room, or as a backup.  Still going to use the Fender 500 for gigs and can go through the PA.

I use a TC BH250 for taking to rehearsal rooms with supplied cabs. I chose it over other heads as it has an inbuilt tuner, mute function and also the Toneprint feature so I can have onboard compression, all of this means I can be lazy and not bother setting up my preamp pedal at practice! You can pick them up used for £100 - £120 usually.

There's also a Markbass 250w Blackline head in the marketplace for £150

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, missis sumner said:

No, there isn't! ;D

Nice one, you won’t regret it. I’m using my RM500 this evening as want to keep the load as small as possible given there’s no parking at the venue. I know it will sound great as they’re superb amps.

• Like 1

It looks like you may have solved your problem. If not then your question is about whether the 130W from the TC will be enough. I use the similar Warwick Gnome for rehearsal. For me it is enough. We aren’t as loud at rehearsal as we are live but our drummer is still fairly energetic. For me having an amp that fits in my guitar case just makes life so much easier.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phil Starr said:

It looks like you may have solved your problem. If not then your question is about whether the 130W from the TC will be enough. I use the similar Warwick Gnome for rehearsal. For me it is enough. We aren’t as loud at rehearsal as we are live but our drummer is still fairly energetic. For me having an amp that fits in my guitar case just makes life so much easier.

I think I may be sorted now, with the RM300.  Yes, it's bigger... so not as convenient, but does look like it's got a bit more functionality.  You know what the next question's going to be though - "Recommend a decent cab for my RM300"... lol

But yes, that was my original question.  My simple maths was 25% of 350W (I believe that's what the Fender 500 is, without the extension cab) is about 85W, so the TC should have been enough.  But again, not sure of these things, having only ever used combos - thought I'd ask! 

• Like 1