Why become a member? ×

My New Tony Franklin Fretless P - Videos and Pics

wateroftyne

It's what Michael wants of course Mark and I know that. I suppose I have a bit of a 'mojo' bee under my bonnet at times :)

I not only think the TF sounds better as a P but the added versatility of the J pup is immense to my ears.

The whole lived in, worn in wood thing? It's only 'common 'a' garden wood' that's a few years old. I'm not averse to a bit of genuine ageing and the odd knock breeding familiarity and comfort like an old shoe but don't get me going on relic'ing :rolleyes:

False aging is just false to me, if I owned a relic'd bass I'd feel like they saw me coming and that I bought something that was a pure fashion statement, like a faded and torn pair of 'new' jeans.

But, different we all are.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='460360' date='Apr 12 2009, 09:18 AM']It's what Michael wants of course Mark and I know that. I suppose I have a bit of a 'mojo' bee under my bonnet at times :)

I not only think the TF sounds better as a P but the added versatility of the J pup is immense to my ears.

The whole lived in, worn in wood thing? It's only 'common 'a' garden wood' that's a few years old. I'm not averse to a bit of genuine ageing and the odd knock breeding familiarity and comfort like an old shoe but don't get me going on relic'ing :rolleyes:

False aging is just false to me, if I owned a relic'd bass I'd feel like they saw me coming and that I bought something that was a pure fashion statement, like a faded and torn pair of 'new' jeans.

But, different we all are.[/quote]

ha ha..... we'd better not do this one down the pub then..... you're talking to someone who owned a pukka custom shop Jaco Bass of Doom !! LOL

Aye..... agree to my lugs the PJ tone from the TF is the nuts !!

Personally, having owned a vintage Fender I certainly don't think "age" of itself instantly qualifies quality - there are good and bad ones whether they were made last week or 30 years ago. If you play it, and it sings to you, then its good (in my opinion). I worry that a lot of people hear what they want to hear, based on the age of a bass.

I love the way my TF sounds and the selector switch setup is a doddle to use mid song etc - mine will age with me and I'll add some of my own "mojo" on the way. Don't get me wrong I'd love a nice '71 P - but it would have to be a damn good one, not just a '71 for the sake of it.

Micheal if the jazz pup isnt your thing then it sounds to me like you have already got your answer about this particular bass? I love the PJ position the most myself, but I guess it's not everyones cup of tea. Start looking for a nice ebony neck to put on your '71 eh? :)

J

[quote]One of the reasons for suggesting the blend kind of options was you might find the J more useable if you didn't simply dial it in on the same settings as the P p/up as in the clip.[/quote]

Ah.. I get ya.

[quote]hmm sell them both and buy a fretless status kingbass?[/quote]

ha ha ha... can you imagine? Me with a Kingbass? Myt 'ol mother wouldn't recognise me...

[quote]Micheal if the jazz pup isnt your thing then it sounds to me like you have already got your answer about this particular bass?[/quote]

I think you're right. The thing is, if I didn't have the '71 already but I needed a fretless, I wouldn't look past the TF. It really is fab.

Sell the TF...... and buy this to complete your collection

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-PRECISION-Fretless-Bass-USA-1970s_W0QQitemZ280332865316QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item280332865316&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-PRECISION-Fre...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='462174' date='Apr 14 2009, 02:46 PM']Reet... I've just popped to our very own Bass Doc's to cadge a lovely ebony neck from him.

I'm going to stick that on the '71 and see how it compares. If it works out, I think the '71 neck will be retired....[/quote]

When A-B'd on the same bass my '73 Jazz neck (rosewood) sounded different to my 77 Precision neck (also rosewood), the Precision neck had a bit of a mid scoop to my ears. Although the boards are the same wood, the Precision neck is wider and deeper, so perhaps this has an imact? Is the TF neck Jazz width? If so, and as you're getting all scientific on this (it'll be double-blind random-controlled trials next), it's perhaps worth checking the impact of neck dimensions as well as materials?

[quote name='Beedster' post='462187' date='Apr 14 2009, 03:07 PM']When A-B'd on the same bass my '73 Jazz neck (rosewood) sounded different to my 77 Precision neck (also rosewood), the Precision neck had a bit of a mid scoop to my ears. Although the boards are the same wood, the Precision neck is wider and deeper, so perhaps this has an imact? Is the TF neck Jazz width? If so, and as you're getting all scientific on this (it'll be double-blind random-controlled trials next), it's perhaps worth checking the impact of neck dimensions as well as materials?[/quote]

Oops see below

Edited by The Bass Doc

[quote name='Beedster' post='462187' date='Apr 14 2009, 03:07 PM']When A-B'd on the same bass my '73 Jazz neck (rosewood) sounded different to my 77 Precision neck (also rosewood), the Precision neck had a bit of a mid scoop to my ears. Although the boards are the same wood, the Precision neck is wider and deeper, so perhaps this has an imact? Is the TF neck Jazz width? If so, and as you're getting all scientific on this (it'll be double-blind random-controlled trials next), it's perhaps worth checking the impact of neck dimensions as well as materials?[/quote]

WoT is now logging on to confused.com

Cheers!

The flats are a couple of years old.. the EQ is pretty much flat.. I rolled the bass up a touch to fill it out as it was such a low volume. I bypassed the para EQ, 'cos it just confuses me.

I used the '71 last night with Bass Doc's ebony neck, and it sounded great too. A/B'd with the Franklin, there wasn't much in it... decisions, decisions...!

Hi again

Reet.. I've had a couple of hours spare this morning to tinker, including a recording of the '71 with an ebony neck.

(again, hit the HQ button if you can. It helps)

Here it is with the ebony neck:

For quick reference, here's the previous '71 clip:

...and the previous Franklin clip:

I don't know how much it comes cross, but the replacement ebony neck definitely give the tone more clarity, at the expense of slightly less warmth. In a band mix, this is definitely a good thing, I think.

So, ebony is the way to go, wether it's a replacement neck for the '71 or sell it and keep the TF...

Thanks to Howard 'The Bass Doc' for the loan of that lovely neck!

Hi Michael, there's something about that '71. It has such massive body to the sound. Very un-fretless sound if you get my meaning? The 'TonyF' has the more traditional fretless sound you'd expect, with more ring and musicality to it, but the old one is just priceless. It makes your bones shake! I'd like to hear it with some new strings, but would that spoil the whole idea and effect of the bass?

• 1 month later...