Why become a member? ×

P bass pickup buzz ?? Update

wrinkleygit

Recently acquired a p-bass bitsa with a bareknuckle 58 pickup that has an annoying buzz that stops by touching the bridge or strings. First thought was no connection between bridge and ground, but checked visually and with a meter and found a good connection. Also tried the bass at home and in the rehearsal room with different amps, all with the same results, would a grounding plate beneath the pickup be of benefit or any other suggestions before I pull out what little hair I have left !!

Edited by wrinkleygit
Update

On 13/03/2022 at 21:45, ped said:

Shielding. Lots of shielding. 

Hm! This would have been my natural response! 

After having had 4/5 precision basses, and copper shielding most of them, I realised thanks to a technician you do not need copper shielding for a single P pickup bass!

Could be grounding, connection between the split pickups, the pots making some sort of interference but I can testify this is true - a P pickup by default is hum cancelling - I can't give you a specific answer but it's what I have witnessed with my very own eyes...!

56 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Hm! This would have been my natural response! 

After having had 4/5 precision basses, and copper shielding most of them, I realised thanks to a technician you do not need copper shielding for a single P pickup bass!

Could be grounding, connection between the split pickups, the pots making some sort of interference but I can testify this is true - a P pickup by default is hum cancelling - I can't give you a specific answer but it's what I have witnessed with my very own eyes...!

A split P pickup cancels magnetic hum but they are still susceptible to electrostatic and RF interference which will vary depending on local factors. Remember you're shielding the whole electronics not just the pickup. The wires, pots etc are all susceptible to 'hum'. 

My G&L SB1 was REALLY noisy before it was shielded, now it makes no noise even in front of the computer/lamp/penis enlarger 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, I stand corrected, thanks @ped ! I think after so much copper tape everywhere, the fact that I had a dead silent p bass without any noise at all, alongside that technician saying 'you dont need tape for a p bass' threw me off.

• Like 1

• wrinkleygit changed the title to P bass pickup buzz ?? Update