Why become a member? ×

What is with the constant asking for serial numbers?

la bam

On 11/04/2022 at 13:01, TimR said:

If someone asked me for a serial number I'd stop communications with them.  

Similarly, I wouldn't buy a used instrument without seeing the serial number first. If I asked a seller who refused to provide it, there is no way I'd buy from them. I've yet to hear a good reason why one would hide it from a potential buyer. What does it achieve other than making the buyer think you've something to hide?

There is so much serial number information out there now, going from basic manufacture dating functionality to the detailed specification info the likes of Warwick, EBMM and Fender now make available. It's the best way for a buyer to verify they're actually getting what is advertised, or to fill in the gaps a lot of sellers leave in their information.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

Similarly, I wouldn't buy a used instrument without seeing the serial number first. If I asked a seller who refused to provide it, there is no way I'd buy from them. I've yet to hear a good reason why one would hide it from a potential buyer. What does it achieve other than making the buyer think you've something to hide?

There is so much serial number information out there now, going from basic manufacture dating functionality to the detailed specification info the likes of Warwick, EBMM and Fender now make available. It's the best way for a buyer to verify they're actually getting what is advertised, or to fill in the gaps a lot of sellers leave in their information.

Well, in one way it's good, but not if the scammers have got a serial number from someone selling a genuine instrument, then copied it onto a fake one.

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

Using the motor car analogy, would you buy a car without knowing the registration number (to carry out various history checks)? 

The DVLA have a database of registered keepers. 

And people do clone numberplates. 

12 minutes ago, la bam said:

Well, in one way it's good, but not if the scammers have got a serial number from someone selling a genuine instrument, then copied it onto a fake one.

I'd wager there are more buyers out there than scammers. Would your experience here be that you've encountered more scammers who would go to that trouble than genuine potential buyers?

11 minutes ago, TimR said:

Criminals do indeed clone numberplates but unless it’s a very extensive scam, the details won’t match the correct chassis number/ engine number etc, all of which are in the national database. 

However, and equally importantly, you would use the reg number to carry out an HPI check to ensure the car doesn’t have outstanding HP and other issues such as previously been declared a write off etc etc. 

14 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I'd wager there are more buyers out there than scammers. Would your experience here be that you've encountered more scammers who would go to that trouble than genuine potential buyers?

I'm just making people aware that there is something going on on facebook marketplace. Its not to tarnish genuine buyers or sellers with the same brush. What they choose to do with that information is upto them.

For what it's worth, I cant work it out, and I agree it seems a lot of trouble to go to for smallish rewards, but I guess it depends what scale it's being done at, and what the actual scam is.

It has been happening on ebay for many years too, where a seller uses someone else's pictures, but it's a very, very small percentage of genuine transactions which take place between honest buyers and sellers.

One must encourage buyers to take care and perform due diligence, caveat emptor indeed, but how can that happen when sellers will cease communicating if a buyer requests something as fundamental as the serial number? 😉

28 minutes ago, TimR said:

But they don’t clone plates by contacting people advertising cars and asking what the reg is, contrary to the believers of the urban myth believers who fuzz out the reg on ads. It’s much easier to go down the local Asda etc and look for one, or just Google it. Even easier with serial numbers as most manufacturers publish lists/ dates.