Why become a member? ×

Powering a New Pedalboard Setup

donslow

Hey all, currently working on a new pedalboard setup

in the past I’ve just powered all pedals from their own power supplies but messy cable OCD always niggled at me

Looking at a power brick type power supply to try and neaten things up a bit

understanding that I may have to use a dedicated power supply for at least one pedal (Boss RC-50) or maybe two power bricks for the rest, I’m struggling to work out the best way to get the board up and running

new pedalboard will look something like this (in no particular order)

Boss RC-50 

MXR Carbon Copy

EHX Small Clone

EHX Micro POG / MXR Bass Octave Deluxe (still need to decide/buy)

EHX Small Stone

Boss BD2 

ProCo Rat

Boss DS1

EHX Big Muff

any pointers from the more knowledgable would be massively appreciated

Thanks for the info guys

I found out the ratings for each pedal on the old wide world web and found these figures

Boss RC-50 (9v 450mA)

MXR Carbon Copy (9v 26mA)

EHX Small Clone (9v 12mA)

EHX Micro POG / MXR Bass Octave Deluxe (still need to decide) (9v 180mA / 9v 14mA)

EHX Small Stone (9v 12mA)

Boss BD2 (9v 20mA)

ProCo Rat (9v 3mA)

Boss DS1 (9v 4mA)

EHX Big Muff (9v 3mA)

Boss TU-2 or TU-3 / Korg pitchblack (9v 55mA / 9v 20mA)

@Lozz196 you sir have a PM

Non-isolatated power can add noise and something I've only just found out is that some pedals (in my case an optical compressor) require fully isolated power supply, but not all power bricks advertised as 'isolated' are fully isolated. 

A cut and paste on it :

some power supplies advertised as 'isolated'  only have separate regulators, filters and over current protection for each of the DC output positive terminals but the output negative (ground) terminals are still bonded together - which is not a true isolated supply. 

Sometimes in a pedal board there are ground currents that cause the sensitive threshold detector circuits in the compressor to trigger without any audio signal.  This issue is almost always power ground loop currents between the pedals with a power supply that has a common ground like a daisy-chain or power brick with the grounds bonded together. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions so far

have started building a new board of my own design which will have cable routing channels built underneath it

just have to work out the  power supply brick situation but pending the sale of a zoom pedal I have for sale currently @Lozz196’s gator seems to be a good contender