Why become a member? ×

2x12 cabinet built question

SH73

I'm planning to build a 2x 12 bass cab. I've got a delimma , sealed bass cab or ported. I found some information that ported gives better frequency response and sealed may sound muddy but have more low end. I thought ported cabs give more low end. I've got a Fender rumble 100 and it's ported and the bottom end is deep, but with a 15 inch speaker.

I'm looking for an overall solution maybe geared towards mid frequencies? I'm not into technical frequency graph response charts as they mean nothing to me. The question is sealed or ported? Any suggestions please? 

19 hours ago, itu said:

Remember that the speaker has to be chosen after the cab: sealed construction needs different T/S parametres.

Hi. Unfortunately that means nothing to me sorry, as I said the technical figures no comprendo. Don't know what T/S is without Googleing😁 but perhaps you could educate me 

https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?&category=Speaker_Building&masthead=Speaker_Plans&subheadnew=Bass_Reflex_Sub

A lot of speaker manufacturers have cabinet designs to go with them. If you just use random dimensions it won't match the performance specs of the speakers. Don't try and work it out from scratch, use a tried and tested design.

Just as a generality, I've found ported designs to be louder than sealed. 

Yes.

If you want the size to be bigger, it is usually OK.

efficiency - low end - cubic volume

You make the enclosure smaller, either the efficiency becomes smaller, or the lowest reproducible frequency rises - or both. This is similar to the

ISO - aperture - time

trio in photography.