Why become a member? ×

Cab Sim/DI Pedals

Vin Venal

Howdy

Wasn't 100% sure where to put this, this subforum is probably the best fit.

I'm looking for a way to get cab sim into my signal chain. Ideally I want it on my DI signal (which hypothetically goes to FOH/anything I'm recording) and on my headphone output, but not on the output which actually goes to my cab.

At the moment, both of these - my DI and phones out - come from my amp - an Ampeg PF-500, which I like the sound of, so want to keep in my signal chain if possible (rather than having a separate pre-amp pedal taking DI/phones from my pedal board before it hits the amp).

The PF-500 has something called a preamp out, which I think bypasses the power amp, so is in theory a line level output with the ampeg sound. So my question is, can I just run a normal instrument cable from this and connect a cab sim pedal/DI box of my choice to this?

Failing this, if I frontload a cab sim pedal into the amp, how much of an effect would this have on the sound through my cab?

On 19/02/2022 at 20:14, Vin Venal said:

Howdy

Wasn't 100% sure where to put this, this subforum is probably the best fit.

I'm looking for a way to get cab sim into my signal chain. Ideally I want it on my DI signal (which hypothetically goes to FOH/anything I'm recording) and on my headphone output, but not on the output which actually goes to my cab.

At the moment, both of these - my DI and phones out - come from my amp - an Ampeg PF-500, which I like the sound of, so want to keep in my signal chain if possible (rather than having a separate pre-amp pedal taking DI/phones from my pedal board before it hits the amp).

The PF-500 has something called a preamp out, which I think bypasses the power amp, so is in theory a line level output with the ampeg sound. So my question is, can I just run a normal instrument cable from this and connect a cab sim pedal/DI box of my choice to this?

Failing this, if I frontload a cab sim pedal into the amp, how much of an effect would this have on the sound through my cab?

I think your Preamp out > Cab sim/DI > FOH would work, or FX Loop out > Cab sim/DI > FOH (or use an ABY pedal to split your signal from the FX loop if the FX loop also needs the in).    

Having the Cab sim signal going into an actual Bass Cab would probably sound muffled.  

I've looked into getting Cab sim pedals a bit though and the more I look the less useful they seem unless you are using FRFR cab or are in a band that uses IEMs and a PA, or perhaps if you play really big venues and everything is through a PA. As you have an Amp and Bass cab that sound how you want is there much value in adding a Cab sim signal to FOH? I dunno, perhaps there is, I'm not sure there is for my uses though. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SumOne said:

I think your Preamp out > Cab sim/DI > FOH would work, or FX Loop out > Cab sim/DI > FOH (or use an ABY pedal to split your signal from the FX loop if the FX loop also needs the in).    

Having the Cab sim signal going into an actual Bass Cab would probably sound muffled.  

I've looked into getting Cab sim pedals a bit though and the more I look the less useful they seem unless you are using FRFR cab or are in a band that uses IEMs and a PA, or perhaps if you play really big venues and everything is through a PA. As you have an Amp and Bass cab that sound how you want is there much value in adding a Cab sim signal to FOH? I dunno, perhaps there is, I'm not sure there is for my uses though. 

Yeah maybe its more marginally useful than I think.

It would mostly be for when I play through phones, or occasionally record stuff, to be honest, gigs are a bit hypothetical at present...

I may be too easily swayed by youtube demos of cab sim pedals sounding awesome. But then, if you think about it, filming YouTube videos is probably the peak usefulness of a cab sim pedal. Lol

• Like 1

There isn't much point in putting a cab sim if you do have a cab to sound from, but I'm currently using a Mooer Radar with great results.

I connect my ABM's DI out (post-eq) to the cabsim (set only with cab and eq - just a high pass filter matching my cab's response, no preamp in the pedal) and go straight to FOH. I had the IRs of my very own cab made in a studio and it's really great. 

I mounted it all in the back of my head's case.

• Like 2

On 22/02/2022 at 07:27, SonnyBassPlayer said:

There isn't much point in putting a cab sim if you do have a cab to sound from... 

Well not necessarily. It's not always convenient or indeed possible to mic a cab. Or you might be using your amp with a different, provided cab, any number of things. If nothing else having more options is always good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack said:

Well not necessarily. It's not always convenient or indeed possible to mic a cab. Or you might be using your amp with a different, provided cab, any number of things. If nothing else having more options is always good. 

Of course one more option is always useful, but what I meant is that having a cab sim in chain before the cab is IMHO not truly useful as a preamp or Eq would work better in that situation, but of course if the cabsim is out of the chain providing signal to DIs, mixers and FOH that's a great value and I'm the first using it that way, cab on stage with me and sim to the mixer ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The problem I'm having (it's not really a problem, I know) is that I like my amp too much. Specifically the preamp in the Ampeg PF-500. I always want that sound in my signal path, and I also like the inbuilt compression.

But I also want my DI to sound like its going through an 8x10, and I want all this on my pedal board so I can use any backline, and not have to bring the amp.

Really I need someone to release a pedal which is all of the following:

A preamp which accurately replicates the classic ampeg clean tone and plays nicely with my small collection of drive pedals.

A musical sounding built in one-knob compressor.

A great sounding cab sim on the DI/phones only.

A good quality headphone amp built in.

I got quite excited about the new origin effects bassrig (the blue one), but its 400 quid and I'd still need a separate headphone amp and compressor, which present both pedal board space, and cost issues.

One day my dream pedal will come along, until then I'll just use the PF-500 like a massive pre-amp pedal.