Why become a member? ×

Decision time... best way to deal with sheared neck screws?

Stub Mandrel

52 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Personally I would give the dremel method to cut a slot in the broken screw a try first, failing that go round the screw in circles with the dremel and plug with a dowel. I’ve used the second method to remove broken machine head screws a few times. It does leave a largish hole to plug. These guys are a useful resource:

https://plugitwood.co.uk/collections/plugs/products/maple-flat-cross-grain-plugs?variant=31721128820772

Thanks , that's reassuring to know my plan to vut the plugs across the grain is the right one.

Probably stating the obvious so apologies in advance.  Wait until you have the plug / dowel wood in your possession before choosing the drill size.  I have bought 10mm plugs, happily drilled away ready to plug, when they arrived they were 9mm or thereabouts.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Isn’t that exactly what Andytravis says above ? 

Got a dremmel?

…

carve a slot into the “head” of what’s left. Flat head screwdriver…get it started out and then back it out…

He did indeed. Missed it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 3below said:

Probably stating the obvious so apologies in advance.  Wait until you have the plug / dowel wood in your possession before choosing the drill size.  I have bought 10mm plugs, happily drilled away ready to plug, when they arrived they were 9mm or thereabouts.  

I have a lathe, I can turn a plug to size if necessary. It's a metal lathe not a wood lathe but, it will do the job.

• Like 1

I can’t see from the pic, but if the screws are even slightly proud of the wood, screw removal pliers might work to get those out. I had a broken off tuner screw in the headstock of a bitzer and had tried everything to get it out. Ordered mini screw removal pliers from amazon and managed to get it out in about a minute.

• Like 1

I’d be applying some heat to loosen them even going so far as to burn the wood around the screw, then drill out the burnt wood and plug the hole. I’ve done this successfully on a couple of occasions when all other methods failed.

• 1 month later...

I went ahead and used the hollow bits to drill out the screws, then glued in two wooden plugs with two part epoxy.

Need to mark up and drill for the new screws - and get new screws, they are 74mm below the head, just under 3"

20220402_150405.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I went ahead and used the hollow bits to drill out the screws, then glued in two wooden plugs with two part epoxy.

Need to mark up and drill for the new screws - and get new screws, they are 74mm below the head, just under 3"

20220402_150405.jpg

Nice plugs, there is nothing quite like a good solid plug :)

Edited by 3below