Why become a member? ×

73/74 Precision.

Johncee

27 minutes ago, walshy said:

slight ski jump on neck and frets are worn

Nice one walshy, I enquired about that bass when it was first listed which was quite a while back now, he didn’t tell me about the ski jump, glad I didn’t make the journey 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Nice one walshy, I enquired about that bass when it was first listed which was quite a while back now, he didn’t tell me about the ski jump, glad I didn’t make the journey 👍

Yeah it definitely needs fettling and didn't get great vibes when I was there. Gotta trust your instincts. Was listed at a much lower figure too but he 'found out it was worth more' and hiked the price. Its in good condition, not great and needs work. I offered a decent price taking into account the work needed, actually more than I thought I would (£2600) but said he wouldn't take a penny less what £2800 and it can go back in the cupboard then 🙄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chaosanator said:

Hey guys just wondering what ski jump means? Is it just there is too much relief on the neck or is it a problem at the body end of the neck? Ta x 

Yeah usually a rise in the neck at the body end that the truss rod won’t straighten, it can stop you getting a low action 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Chaosanator said:

Hey guys just wondering what ski jump means? Is it just there is too much relief on the neck or is it a problem at the body end of the neck? Ta x 

Check my threads about action - there’s a good discussion of how to fix it. I did my own for free 

here 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Either which way - to resolve will be costly, invasive and will reduce resale…

Even if you didn’t buy it to sell, points 1 and 2 are still deciding factors for me.

From your experience with said instrument @walshy, could it be resolved?

Well, I reckon so but he wasn’t keen on letting me take it to bits as he’s already took photos. I’d have liked to check the truss rod to make sure. As I say it wasn’t loads but couldn’t check it either way. Shame as I’d travelled 2 1/2 hours from home to have a look. Pots all crackled too but again could need a quick spray could need replaced. I took an amp and tools with me but only got to quickly plug it in.

Edited by walshy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaosanator said:

I just bought a fret crowning file and a sanding block - total cost around £10 and 90 minutes or so

On 08/02/2022 at 17:48, walshy said:

Yeah it definitely needs fettling and didn't get great vibes when I was there. Gotta trust your instincts. Was listed at a much lower figure too but he 'found out it was worth more' and hiked the price. Its in good condition, not great and needs work. I offered a decent price taking into account the work needed, actually more than I thought I would (£2600) but said he wouldn't take a penny less what £2800 and it can go back in the cupboard then 🙄

What a plonker, him not you haha. 

On 08/02/2022 at 17:21, AndyTravis said:

Hmm. “Ski Jump” translates to £300 worth of piddling about. And work on frets means another £100.

not the £2900 case queen…

Although general condition looks ace

A touch expensive that. But yes it's not exactly representative of a bass that's just requiring "probably a setup" haha 😆