Why become a member? ×

NBD - Revelation PJ

MichaelDean

Early last year, I had a cull of basses I wasn't using. This resulted in me not having any standard 34" scale basses. Just shorties and my Dingwall. It was fine for a bit, but GAS got the better of me. 

After trying out a Squier Affinity PJ, I reckoned something in a PJ might be just the ticket. I didn't need a new bass straight away so held fire for a bit. Thought I might spot a bargain - and so I did! 

Got this Revelation RPJ 77 for £60 from Facebook marketplace. It's got some dents, buckle rash and I think it was never kept on a stand. But after some cleaning, new strings and a bit of a setup, it's come up nicely. Need to get some lemon oil or similar as the fretboard is as dry as a bone, maybe drier. It's a lovely candy apple red. Didn't quite capture it in the picture!

Sounds alright as is, but needs the cavities shielding. The pickups are neo Entwhistle ones. I think they could be a bit more refined, but they'll do for now.

Very pleased for £60! 

I think the first proper mod I'll do is get a black pickguard on it. Or maybe red tort... 🤔

PXL_20220206_094703165.thumb.jpg.e4d10be27c114b69a77b2cc28746ebd7.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I don't think the pickups are the neodymium version, but the ceramic one's. Neo's have PBXN written on them.

I can't see any markings on them, but it's listed as the neo pickups on the website: https://www.revelationguitars.co.uk/guitar/rpj-77/

5 hours ago, lownote said:

Welcome to the Revolution world. How are the frets?  Smoothness and sharp ends I think are always a give away on poor basses.  Mine is fretless so I'm interested what the fretted are like.

The frets are absolutely fine. Feels good up and down the neck and it doesn't feel like there are any high frets as I play. They're also a lot more polished than the Harley Benton tele I bought last year. As it's second hand I'm not sure if it would have had any fretwork done already, but from the sorry state it was in, probably not!

@kodiakblair yeah, I think I came across an old thread after you picked this up. I'd like to try a double p sometime. Plus it doesn't have a jazz width neck - 38mm is too narrow for me.

The jury is still out on the pickups until I've had a practice with it. I'm tempted to try some Toneriders plus a new loom from KiOgon.