Why become a member? ×

1978 Fender Precision - *WITHDRAWN*
£1650
Leek, Staffordshire

umcoo

Hi all,

Having a clear out of some things I don't use that often, so up next is a 1978 Fender Precision.

This thing screams late 70's punk :) I picked this up a few years ago from a guy who bought it in 1979 in Blackpool.  Since it's been in my ownership, it's been used lightly, with a couple of gigs before Covid hit.  It's a black and maple, late 70's P bass, so not a huge amount to say.  It's definitely not a collector's piece and has been very well used.  It has tons of scrapes and scratches, but works just as it should and is very comfortable to play.

The Dimarzio is obviously a replacement.  It was soldered in by the original owner not long after purchasing the bass.  The pickups were originally held together with some electrical tape, so these have been re-soldered and re-spliced, and heat shrunk so make sure they're connected as well as possible.  I also have one half of the original pickup, which will be included in the sale.  Asked the owner if they could find the other half, but it's long gone.  The Dimarzio has a price sticker left on the side of the pickup cover from the original purchase...£10.99 if I remember right.  Thought it was a nice touch, so it's still on there.

The nut looks to be a replacement - there is a small strip of maple just in front of it, which suggests it could have been damaged and replaced in a former life.  It's an old repair and doesn't affect anything with the nut or playability - if I was going to keep it, I'd consider replacing it but it's works fine as is.  I've tried to capture it in the pictures.

Truss rod turns as it should - overall just a solid workhorse bass.  As a late 70's P, she's not the lightest.  Weighs 5.08kg or just a smidge over 11 lbs.

Price is £1650.  I'm not looking for any trades thanks.  I am happy to ship, but will need to charge extra and can get a price for you based on where you are.

Alternatively, collection from just outside Leek in North Staffs is preferable, or can meet somewhere reasonable for some petrol money.

Thanks all, happy to answer any questions, or take additional photos.

9g11F1N.jpg

aKEkpLI.jpg

AWviWjp.jpg

bnsF333.jpg

deH0UUr.jpg

EIz8HCt.jpg

EyeWJtp.jpg

jTa9WB3.jpg

KjzYMR8.jpg

LbIKoGo.jpg

LC5okJu.jpg

mzk06Q8.jpg

qpuFk6V.jpg

qu6U6YW.jpg

VZpPNuc.jpg

yGZFrHt.jpg

Edited by umcoo
  • Like 5

Surprised this is still here...these late 70s heavy basses with Dimarzio pups are truly great funk machines.

In fact the Dimarzio replacement thing was all the rage back in the day. Finish looks very cool too...

GLWTS

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CH161 said:

Surprised this is still here...these late 70s heavy basses with Dimarzio pups are truly great funk machines.

In fact the Dimarzio replacement thing was all the rage back in the day. Finish looks very cool too...

GLWTS

Thanks CH. Unsure if it's slightly overpriced or if the market is just a little slow.  Everyone tightening belts for the upcoming utility bill increase, perhaps 🤷

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • umcoo changed the title to 1978 Fender Precision *WITHDRAWN*