Why become a member? ×

Posting cabs

Waddycall

My rumble 115 cab has been up for sale for a while at a bargain price so it looks like I’ll need to  add a shipping option if I want to get it gone. 

Any recommendations how to do this? I’d like to be able to drop it off somewhere rather than have it collected as I’m out at work all week.

cheers.

IMO there's no such thing as overkill when dealing with the likes of DHL, the Post Office etc. Especially with large and delicate items of bass gear.

I'd put an inner layer of expanded polystyrene around the cab for extra safety, then get a couple of cardboard boxes from a bike shop and fashion a double skin box around the cab with extra protection at the edges and corners. Gaffer the lot together and you're done.

• Like 2

I’ve shipped loads of cabs using a courier but always collected from home.

Many of the drop off sites are not ideal for taking a heavy box into 

Approx price say DPD with insurance would be around £25 to £28 

Make sure it’s very well boxed

If you don’t have the original box ask if your local music store has a box you can have ( many get thrown away ) 

The Rumble cabs are light so ok with a courier but some cabs are so heavy it’s a wonder they arrive in one piece as I’m sure the drivers struggle.

Some like UPS seem to use a sack barrow so less risk of dropping 

The pickup option is good and doesn't cost too much extra. I've used UPS for this. I've also sent a cab via Hermes dropping it off at the local pickup point. In terms of packing I've usually had the original box and packing, or the packing from its replacement to send it in. I do recommend using gorilla tape or something to seal it all up though, standard parcel tape doesn't fill me with confidence.

• Like 1

As you probably know Stevie and I have been designing cabs for BassChat members to build and I've sent several built and half built cabs to various people either to complete the development or for review. I've also sold off a few of the prototypes. Honestly I've never had a problem and it's the small packages that seem more likely to get dropped. I've not been fussed about which carriers I use, whoever is cheapest on the day and I ted to go to one of the brokers like parcels2go. I pay a lot less than £25 including insurance. £12 is nearer the mark for me. I always use a drop off point rather than have to hang around at home waiting at someone else's convenience.

I use the same technique of layer of bubble wrap and double skin of carboard box. The couriers usually have a 20 or 25kg limit and a maximum size but none of my speakers are over a metre. I think there is an advantage in the size of speakers, they tend to be on the floor in the vans and they get carried one at a time so drops are less likely. Frankly they are designed to be dropped by roadies/musicians /drummers so you shouldn't have a problem.

• Thanks 1

On 01/02/2022 at 07:35, Phil Starr said:

As you probably know Stevie and I have been designing cabs for BassChat members to build and I've sent several built and half built cabs to various people either to complete the development or for review. I've also sold off a few of the prototypes. Honestly I've never had a problem and it's the small packages that seem more likely to get dropped. I've not been fussed about which carriers I use, whoever is cheapest on the day and I ted to go to one of the brokers like parcels2go. I pay a lot less than £25 including insurance. £12 is nearer the mark for me. I always use a drop off point rather than have to hang around at home waiting at someone else's convenience.

I use the same technique of layer of bubble wrap and double skin of carboard box. The couriers usually have a 20 or 25kg limit and a maximum size but none of my speakers are over a metre. I think there is an advantage in the size of speakers, they tend to be on the floor in the vans and they get carried one at a time so drops are less likely. Frankly they are designed to be dropped by roadies/musicians /drummers so you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks Phil that’s really helpful. Parcel2go is exactly what I need 👍

• Like 1