Why become a member? ×

LeCompte ST-4 -- IT'S HERE 13/9

misrule

[quote name='craigonbass' post='49629' date='Aug 23 2007, 04:09 PM']Hi Mark, good to meet you at the Guildford bash on saturday, the finished bass looks fantastic, well worth the long wait.

Many thanks for the beers!!!!

Craig[/quote]
Good to meet you, too -- and I'm glad you enjoyed a drink. The long wait continues, I'm afraid, but I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='steve-soar' post='49805' date='Aug 23 2007, 09:07 PM']That is one very special bass. Bud has nailled that colour, spot on.[/quote]
He's one very skilled bloke. He's also honest, helpful and communicative. I've had 68 progress pictures from him since March.

His build-time estimates are a bit off -- he said three and a half to four months originally and it's now over six. But his workload has soared in the meantime and I'm in no great hurry.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='49957' date='Aug 24 2007, 09:18 AM']Ever watched grand designs? Things ALWAYS take longer than expected.[/quote]
Oh, yes -- and nothing's ever easy. There's a problem with the finish on the back now, due to the wood shrinking. So Bud's got to sort that out before he sends it.

I don't blame him -- these things happen.

Cheers

Mark

Bud has posted pics of my bass on his website at:

[url="http://www.lecomptebass.com/st4/"]www.lecomptebass.com[/url]

And he's due to send it tomorrow (Thurs). :)

Hoorah. Now I only have to stump up for the tax and duty ...

Cheers

Mark

Edited by misrule

[quote name='charic' post='57008' date='Sep 7 2007, 02:49 PM']Have to say you picked the best shape by far! I need to have a holiday from this site. Theres too many basses i want but dont need :huh:[/quote]
Have a look at a couple of one-offs in the special projects section :)

To be honest, I hedged my bets in terms of looks and pick-ups in case I ever had to sell it on. The ST SS ones look great but I suspect they would be a bit extreme in person.

Bud's package -- at 51lbs in a flight case and packing -- is on its way. However, I suspect ParcelForce may become involved at this end. So I'm holding my breath.

Three to five days, they say, so sometime at the end of next week no doubt. :huh: I'll post pics and a review.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Mike' post='58003' date='Sep 10 2007, 07:30 AM']Exciting times, Mark. Congrats![/quote]
Thanks, mate -- boring times, actually. The bass left on Thursday but USPS don't even acknowledge that they have it yet.

I've spent so long checking for emails and scanning the net that I won't know what to do with my leisure time once the thing's actually here. I'll have to play it, I suppose :)

Cheers

Mark

Finally, in my hands --

My first impressions are that it's tiny! It looked huge in Bud's pictures. But that makes the fretboard easy to get around, especially compared to my Thunderbird.

It sings unamplified, which is a good sign, and the neck is smooth, flat and a joy.

I haven’t had a chance to plug it in yet, so I can’t comment on the sound, but I’ll let you know when I can.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by misrule

Thanks, guys. I decided not to wait for Parcelforce and went to collect it from their Gatwick depot.

Actually, after all the flak they've had here, they were pretty good. It took seven days to get here, including the weekend. And their customer service on the phone was great.

Cheers

Mark