Why become a member? ×

LeCompte ST-4 -- IT'S HERE 13/9

misrule

[quote]Here's a potted version of my build diary started on bassworld on March 2, 2007. Sorry I couldn't transfer people's comments -- feel free to add them here.

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Hello, folks --

I love seeing the progress on people's custom-builds, so here's my LeCompte ST-4.

It'll have a transparent blue, flamed maple top, black limba body, walnut accent stripe and stabilised bird's eye board.

Also on the list are Nordstrands (P/J), an Audere Z-mode 3-band, chrome Hipshot A and ultralites, with a five-piece maple neck.

You can see other examples at [url="http://www.lecomptebass.com"]www.lecomptebass.com[/url] Click on the bass shapes to see pictures. Bud LeCompte is a maker near Houston, Texas.

Things have barely started yet but here are pics of the wood:

The fretboard

The top

The back.

More to come as it happens. And if you think I'm being a flash git, check out his prices now there are almost two dollars to the pound. :wink:

Cheers

Mark

Edited by misrule

Here's a small update -- a pic of the neck blank. Bud has glued a book-matched laminate on the back of the headstock to match the wavey body.

The body itself is also glued up ready to be cut out this week.

Here's a reminder of what the back looks like:

Cheers

Mark

Wow, after about three weeks I just got these:

Note I asked for a jack socket on the side of the body, not on top like he usually does. The large hole is for a stacked pot

Note large hole for 18v power.

Now the blue dye goes on next week.

Cheers :)

Mark

Edited by misrule

[quote name='ped' post='1305' date='May 18 2007, 11:53 AM']Looks great - a very individual design, congrats on being bold and different![/quote]

I picked one of his more tame designs -- you should see some of the others :)

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='acidbass' post='1738' date='May 18 2007, 07:47 PM']Just out of interest - is there anything that made you choose LeCompte over say, a British luthier?[/quote]

To be honest, I didn't even think about going British before I ordered it. It's not that I don't like the work I've seen here, it's just that I never considered having a custom bass made.

Then I saw a couple of Bud's STSS 5s on TalkBass -- the second and third [url="http://www.lecomptebass.com/stss5/"]here on his website[/url]. I wanted something slightly more conventional (!) yet with the same rock look.

I got GAS, the dollar/pound situation was good so I just went for it.

Looking back, I have wondered why I never looked around British makers first. But I just fell in love with that style. And, even with tax and duty, I suspect I'm paying a good price. :)

Cheers

Mark

Edited by misrule

Another thought -- it would be interesting to compare this bass with Mike's Shuker (see Build Diary nearby) when they both arrive. They're both transparent blue with matching headstock, flame maple top, birdseye board and Nordstrands.

Maybe we can stage some sort of Anglo American heavyweight custom title bout. :huh: And in the blue corner ... and in the other blue corner ...

I'll get my people to have a word with Mike's people. :)

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='acidbass' post='1977' date='May 19 2007, 01:19 AM']Jon 'The Flame' Shuker VS Bud 'Frenchie' LeCompte![/quote]

:) lol

I'll ask Mike if he's coming to the South East bash -- then people can try the two side-by-side.

Cheers

Mark

• 3 weeks later...